AIDS Marathon

Discussion in 'Community' started by DCBass, Jun 23, 2005.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I'm not sure if this post is in the appropriate forum's section. If not, dear Administrator, please feel free to move it.

I've been a lurker here at Macrumors for several years now, only having made a few posts in the past. However, I've come to know the Macrumors community to be extremely positive and supportive. Quite the helpful bunch, I must say!

Anyway, I will be running the Marine Corps Marathon this fall through http://www.aidsmarathon.com . This is my first marathon and it's been incredible so far. Aside from the physical challenge, my main goal is to raise $1700 by Jul 28th for the Whitman-Walker Clinic, the largest provider of HIV/AIDS services in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Their clinic provides direct medical care, food, housing and other services to those infected with HIV/AIDS.

It's incredibly easy to donate. Please click http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2076&Year=2005&EventCode=MC05 to donate on my behalf. As a bonus, once I begin to receive donations from you guys, I'll be sure to post a picture of me running with my old school 2nd Gen. 20gb ipod (still going strong and hungry for tunes) on my aids marathon page! :D Heck, with continued support, I'll even change the picture to whatever you request (be reasonable please... ;) )

I hope it isn't inapporpriate to make a fundraising thread for AIDS Marathon in the Forums here at Macrumors. If so, I apologize in advance.

Thanks for the support everyone. If you have any questions for me about the program, or if you want to talk about running with pods or what not, please have at it below!

Sincerely,

Jeff

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I ran my first marathon with AIDS in 2002.

I'm on #11 - you'll love it!

Which site are you training at?

3. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

Wassup iGary.

11 marathons is something else. Congratulations!

I'm training at the National Mall/Waterside Park. How about yourself?

4. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

More Fundraising Ideas

Since I haven't received many responses in regards to the marathon or the whitman walker clinic, I thought I would ask you guys for any fundraising ideas.

Have you ever raised money for a cause before?
    What methods were the most effective?
    Any interesting experiences you would like to share?

This is my first fundraising experience, and it's been a trip so far.
    Looking forward to hearing from you people! :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't have any specific fundraising ideas, aside from letting everyone in your family know, encouraging them to substitute a donation for a birthday present, etc, and contacting local businesses to sponsor you, perhaps in exchange for wearing their logo or somesuch.

I ran my first marathon this year, too. Good luck with your running! :)