aiff encoded cd problems

Discussion in 'iPod' started by J-Low, Sep 23, 2005.

1. J-Low macrumors member

I have a CD that plays well in CD players , so it's not scratched. But, when I load it into the iBook it spins around for a while at what sounds like varying speeds and then spits out. This has happened about 8 times now.

However once, on maybe the sixth attempt, the disk appeared on the desktop with a QT icon.
    So I opened it and saw that the tracks are AIFF format (aren't CDs usually WAV?) .
    Then iTunes opened and the CD information was correctly found from Gracenote.
    Quicktime also attempted to play the CD this time.
    So I tried to Import and got about two minutes into track 1 before it gave up.

Now we're back to not reading and spitting out the CD.

Any Ideas?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

With troublesome discs like this, you could try copying the AIFF files over to your desktop. Then adding those copied files into iTunes, then ripping them using the Advanced feature 'Convert to'

The disc may have some copy-protection or it may just be slightly out of shape, either not round or too thick for the iBooks drive.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

CD's are .aiff (as long as they are RedBook CD's i.e.proper audio CD's).

Sounds like you may have a "copy protected" CD there, can you rip it into iTunes when it does show up?

Is it a commercial CD or a copy?

There might be damage to the TOC band on the inner radius of the disc.

Audio CD players tend to be more forgiving of badly coded or damaged CD's than optical drives, which are calibrated to do multiple jobs and can be a little picky.

My PowerBook won't use TDK DVD-r discs, it just spits them out, but the el-cheapo brands seem to work just fine....

Who knows?

4. J-Low thread starter macrumors member

It's a commercial CD but it is too old to have copy protection (I think 1998ish Daniel Lanois - Acadie, canadian release).

I got it into iTunes that one time, but it didn't succeed to import.
    I don't know if I'll get it to appear on the desk to again but I'll try this idea of copying files first and then "ripping" into Library.

Is there still a way to get CD info if not from a physical CD?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You mean track titles?

Occasionally, I've had to go to Amazon or Googling the album and artist name to get the track listing, then typing :eek: them in. Oh the effort... :D

6. J-Low thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I am a Lazy Bollocks!! :rolleyes:

I'll try the advice when I get home today. ibook is at home, on windows at (not much obviously) work.

I'll try again when I get home this evening.
    thanks for the help

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sounds like a CD with damaged code strata then, it won't show scratches and may play well on a standard CD player.

If you can get it ti mount again, try dragging the aiff files to a folder, that sometimes works.

Good album BTW.