AIFF -> MP3 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by broken_keyboard, Aug 14, 2004.

1. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Hi

I have a bunch of very large .aiff files which I would like to convert to MP3 or some other compressed format. Can anyone suggest a good program?
    I was hoping iTunes would be able to but no go.

I am not worried about loss of quality due to compression, it is not music, only recordings of lectures.

Thanks

2. Peter9 macrumors member

3. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

OK thanks. I had searched versiontracker for AIFF but all the progs that came back converted to AIFF.

Cheers

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

iTunes can convert those lectures to MP3 or AAC. What's not working on your end?

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can use iTunes to convert to MP3. The default setting for importing music is 128 kbps AAC but if you click on preferences in iTunes you can choose to import in MP3 format and at any bitrate between 16-320 kbps. Hope this helps.

6. broken_keyboard thread starter macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Aha... the only option I could find was "Convert selection to Apple lossless" so I thought I would need another program. But it turns out if you go in to the Preferences and change the importing to MP3 then this menu item changes as well.

Thanks - since I have been ripping all my CDs in lossless there was no mention of MP3 in any of the menus.