Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingkloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I have not been able to log on to AIM all day. Was working fine over last few days. No known changes. All other net apps OK.

Error message

"The domain name server lookup for the specified host has failed. The host is unknown."

OSX 10.4.8
Most recent AIM for Mac 4.7

kingkloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Why are you using AIM instead of iChat or Adium?

We use AIM at work and regularly have to save our IMs. Last I knew, iChat's formatting didn't save sn's or IM send time. Also, while pretty, iChat's interface is about 'bubbles!' and 'graphics!' and all I need is text.

Don't know Adium and would simply prefer help with this issue not a you-should-be-using xyz back and forth. Thanks

Any one ever have this issue?

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
We use AIM at work and regularly have to save our IMs. Last I knew, iChat's formatting didn't save sn's or IM send time. Also, while pretty, iChat's interface is about 'bubbles!' and 'graphics!' and all I need is text.

Don't know Adium and would simply prefer help with this issue not a you-should-be-using xyz back and forth. Thanks

Any one ever have this issue?

I got this a long while back. My AIM never worked again, so I switched to Adium.
I would suggest trashing the program and reinstalling it, or getting a new screen name.
I once heard it was just due to a bad connection, because AIM does randomly go down at times.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
I have not been able to log on to AIM all day. Was working fine over last few days. No known changes. All other net apps OK.

Error message

"The domain name server lookup for the specified host has failed. The host is unknown."

OSX 10.4.8
Most recent AIM for Mac 4.7

Adium does save your times(you have to know how to get to the, "Chat Transcripts Viewer " this is built into adim and you dont have to go thru the finder like iChat to find your old chats, it shows all of your IMs in a very orderly matter. I suggest you give Adium a try.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

iChat saves all that information, just more efficiently (for example, only the time every 5 minutes, not the exact time to the second for every message), and you can also turn off the bubbles. iChat saves chats into the iChats folder in your Documents folder, it isn't hard to find at all, and the logs can be organized by name, time, etc just like anything else in the Finder. Adium too, although I find Adium a little clunky especially in the IM window area (yeah its tabbed, but it doesn't look quite right).

AIM for Mac is a really horrible piece of crap software that hasn't been updated in years and years because AOL realizes they don't have a competitive product for Mac, so thats why the suggestions.

kingkloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
So I switched over to ichat in the meantime. Was working OK (still dont love the cartoon-y interface)... and now bang... cannot connect to AIM."connection to host was unexpectedly lost"

what gives?

I need this for work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.