AIM crashing in 10.4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emoin, Jul 4, 2005.

1. emoin macrumors member

I've been running AIM on my new Powerbook with OS 10.4, and it seems to "randomly" crash at least a few times a day. One of my friends is having the same problem with his new Powerbook... We've found a few things that will usually definitely crash it (using two fingers to scroll on the trackpad, for example), but I have no clue what exactly is causing the problem, or how to alleviate it. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything to do, short of switching AIM clients?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

what verison of AIM?

3. emoin thread starter macrumors member

4.7, I think that's the most recent

4. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

My cousin has the same problem with AIM in 10.3.9.

I tried reinstalling aim but it didnt help.

It happens whenever you get member information.

Any help?

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i have problems with video chat that seems to nicely crash it. I can't do two figured scroll, so hopefully someone else can test that for you.

the first thing i would do to troubleshoot the problem is in the utiltiy folder open up console application. after that crash AIM. see if you get a log entry and post it. if you don't see a log entry click the above "Log" i.e. the Console icon. you see something like this

Code:
    console.log
    system.log
    ~/Library/Logs
    /Lbrary/Logs
    /var/log

click on the arrow by ~Library/Logs and there should be an AIM log there and you can see what error message you are getting.

6. devastator777 macrumors newbie

ARRRGGGGGHHHH

Hey u guys I am having the same problem I think, whenever i shut down the comp not only the AIM icon disappears from my dock but i have to reinstall it from the desktop icon tat originally was there. I have the 17 inch pb running tiger, can anyone help????

7. emoin thread starter macrumors member

I did this and unfortunately all it did was make a pretty generic log entry --
    Code:
    Jul  5 00:20:39 Rosemary crashdump[12750]: AOL Instant Messenger (SM) crashed
    Jul  5 00:20:39 Rosemary crashdump[12750]: crash report written to: /Users/emily/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/AOL Instant Messenger (SM).crash.log

(yeah, my computer is named Rosemary... wanna fight? :))

I checked the actual AIM crash reporter log, and it seems basically incomprehensible... I don't see anything with any kind of timestamp, and nothing was added at the end of the file after the crash, which means it's either not recording there or is being reported somewhere in the file that I can't find.

8. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Wait are you using 10.4 or 10.4.1? Perhaps the upgrade will fix the problem if you haven't yet. If you are on .1 I have no idea. :( I haven't had any problems with it since I got my iBook. I think AIM needs to update it though.. its last update was in January 2004!

9. emoin thread starter macrumors member

10.4.1, I'm afraid. Haha maybe I should try an older version of AIM :p

10. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Here's an idea...try iChat. I don't know of any features that the new iChat for Tiger doesn't have that AIM does.

11. honeytoast macrumors regular

do you need video chat? adium is the best chat program i have used. it has support for just about every chat service. video chat is planned but not available yet.

12. emoin thread starter macrumors member

I've used Adium and iChat in the past (and have been using iChat since this AIM problem cropped up) but I really strongly prefer the AIM interface... I was hoping when I posted that since AIM is so widely used that someone would have figured something out by now.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i tried...

14. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

answer

i have had the same problem and i now use iChat.

the problem is that if you have a mighty mouse or scrolling trackpad, and you scroll sideways while AIM is the front-most app, it will "unexpectedly quit."

i wish apple would fix it, this has been a problem for quite some time now.

15. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

The newest version of AIM for Mac OS X is underdeveloped crap imo.
    It was released 2 years ago, on Feb. 18, 2006.
    It never works correctly. Neither on my iMac or on my Powerbook did it ever work w/o crashing.
    Adium or iChat are much nicer alternatives.

16. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Really? Hm. Ok. That explains it on the Powerbook and iMac (w/ Mighty Mouse)
    The software's ancient though. 2 yrs old.