AIM for ibook??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 17, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

can i use aol instant messenger on the ibook??? what about msn messenger?? also what if a person is using windows and they want to send me a link or video through aim or e-mail will i have problems with macs os when it comes to compatibility and things like that??? :confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AOL IM & MSN msgr both have official OS X clients, also apps like Adium are available that can connect to both of them as well as many other networks at the same time.

As long as you have a program to open the file you are being sent you should be fine, you will need to give a bit more detail if you want specifics.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

Are you serious? I still don't get why people think these things or that they think it matters what type of mac you have, rather than what type of OS. Stupifies me to no end.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

instead of using AIM you can use your account with ichat. so much nicer to use.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, iChat is like AIM but probably better.

Anyway, Adium is what you should get, but if you need to use separate MSN Messenger and iChat programs to run both IM networks, then sure, just d/l MSN Messenger for Mac. It's on the MS site for Apple stuff..... Mactopia.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i prefer iChat for AIM. it is completely compaitble with AIM and is much better at video chat than AIM (especially when whoever you are chatting to is on iChat, but it still works with video chatting on AIM)

as for file compatability im sorry, but get with the times! apple works reads and writes to all of the files types windows does, plus a few extras! er maybe i should take that back. .AVI works about half the time with apple. i dont know why. im sure there is some reason out there. but everything else including .WMV works (as long as you download windows media player for apple) and if you really really really need something windows then M$ makes virtual PC wich will emulate a full windows desktop on your computer (a bit slow, but it works).

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'd get proteus... works great, and is much prettier then the other clients.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i would also highly recommend adium, its one of the most thorough programs i've ever used.

9. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

its not like i really have a choice about all my friends use aim so thats why i ahve to stick with that...wish i could go to the better ones though fer sure!

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

However, iChat supports everything AIM does except for changing your profile, plus iChat allows video chat with AIM v5.5 for Windows, which AIM for Mac OS X does not.

11. morkintosh macrumors regular

I'll second that: except for Hamish ... I'm almost ready to pay for the program just so I don't have to see that damn dog anymore!

12. morkintosh macrumors regular

I should point out before the flaming starts: AIM is just a protocol, your friends all have AIM accounts (and maybe use the AIM client too). You only need an account with AIM to talk to them, you can use any number of programs to do that.

Specifically, here are the links you want:

AOL = http://www.aim.com/ - click download while on your mac
    MSN = http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/msnformacosx/msnformacosx.aspx?pid=msnformacosx

13. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

ok you guys got to tone down the technical language here for me hahaha

14. morkintosh macrumors regular

ok, in short: You can use other programs to talk to people on AIM or MSN. The easiest thing to do is got to the AIM web page, create an account and then just use iChat (it came with your mac in the Applications Filder).

15. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

awesome k thanks morkintosh haha cool name by the way... :D