AIM for Mac on New 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rimrocka07011, Feb 28, 2006.

1. rimrocka07011 macrumors member

I was wondering if anybody here who has a new MacBook Pro was able to install AIM for Mac on their computer. I know I can use iChat but I much rather prefer AIM itself. Everytime I try to install it (from aim.com or from download.com) I get a binary that opens up in Microsoft Excel... nothing is compressed or is able to be installed. Does anybody else have this problem?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What does the filename end in, when you download? Do you get a file that ends in .bin or .hqx or something strange like that?

You might need Stuffit Expander: http://www.stuffit.com/exptester.html

3. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

AIM on the mac is one of the worst applications available. I know you said you prefer it to iChat, but you just don't know what you are getting yourself into. :cool:

Do a search on proteus and adiumx for better alternatives. I don't know why you don't like iChat though. It's so much better than AIM. Most people don't know that you can turn on groups in iChat. Is that what bothers you?

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

iChat is a really good, but basic program. If you want to delve into more advanced features, Adium is a really really good program. You can customize every single feature possible and then some. It's incredible.

Turn your big clunky contact list into this;

Attached Files:

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

And you're going to have to run it in Rosetta till.....forever because they are not developing it anymore. Definitely don't use it, I use Adium for most of the time, but open up iChat with my family wants to Video Chat.

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, definitely don't remove iChat - it's a good program for video chatting and it's also more reliable for file transfers, something Adium has yet to get down. I usually keep iChat in my dock as well as Adium and switch back and forth. But like I said, Adium can make some awesome contact lists and mesage windows - but it doesn't support your font appearing on the other side.

Everything you type will show up to them as times new roman 12 regardless of what you choose.

7. rimrocka07011 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks... it's consensus then, I'm downloading Adium ASAP!!! By the way, the Stuffit Expander worked like a charm... thanks!

8. bense27 macrumors regular

Yeah Adium is great, but I have learned to like using iChat.