Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
my brother was visiting yesterday and he needed to get in touch with a friend via AIM, so i set him up with iChat on my computer. i've never used it before, so he just entered his AIM account info and was online.

but now i've started getting spam addressed to his name, at my email account -- what gives? did iChat somehow associate his account with my email address and pass that on to AIM, where it was harvested somehow?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
????

sonofslim said:
my brother was visiting yesterday and he needed to get in touch with a friend via AIM, so i set him up with iChat on my computer. i've never used it before, so he just entered his AIM account info and was online.

but now i've started getting spam addressed to his name, at my email account -- what gives? did iChat somehow associate his account with my email address and pass that on to AIM, where it was harvested somehow?

I've never heard of ichat doing this, but AOL does sell personal info.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
sorry, i miss-spoke -- it's not spam, it's virus stuff. and even if AOL does sell personal info, how did my email get associated with my brother's AOL account, and how did some virus pick it up?

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
That sucks, man. Stuff like that has never happened to me, and I've had tons of people on my iChat! You're just unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.