AIM have a memory leak??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sean7512, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

So my girlfriend has been complaining that her 1.8 ghz G5 iMac has lost its snappiness as of late. I asked her to tell me how many page outs she had, and it is 562,523 :eek: I asked her how many programs she has open, she claimed just AIM was open and nothing else. She told me that total used memory was reading 452 MB. I asked her to look and see how much AIM is really using, she said 80MB real, and 500MB Virtual!! That is a lot, at least compared to my ichat, which is 15MB real, and 130MB Virtual. Does AIM really need that much memory, or is there a memory leak somewhere?? I have tried to convince her to use ichat since AIM stinks for osx, but she doesn't like the feel, she is too used to that windows AIM, yuck!

BTW, she has the stock, 512 ram...she does NOTHING that would require to upgrade, she only uses it for some music, we browsing, IM, and word documents, or maybe a small powerpoint presentation.

What is going on here, anyone have any ideas?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

AIM for Mac is horrendous and it wouldn't surprise me if it has a memory leak. Have you shown her adium?

3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, she said it was very similar to ichat...I have no idea? I think ichat is 9000000 times better than aim(both win and mac) I have used adium, but I prefer icat, both are great though! I'm not sure why she won't let aim go.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

god....aim triton sure does. it ate all my memory (2gb--the only other app i had open was itunes)--and then crashed
    this is on windows tho

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I am sure there are some downloadable themes for adium that would make it look exactly like AIM, maybe that would work

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Odd,

if she likes the windows themed apps so much, why is she on a mac?
    iChat is so great....so smooth and easy....Aim has like..stock tickers, and news tickers and ads and god knows what else....memory leaks evidentally.

oh well, to each their own.

BTW....Pittsburgh in the House!!

Here we Go!!!

7. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I do not understand her reasoning. She loves Mac WAY better than Windows. She likes MS Office and everything better than any Windows counterpart. I guess she just got used to the feel of AIM soo much, I don't know.

I am glad to report that she is currently using iChat, and she is reporting no slowdowns or no beach balls, which were becoming frequent. Once she gets used to it, I'm sure she'll love it!

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

AIM is never a good program. It's full of ads and eats your computers organs for fun.

Tell her iChat, Adium, or Proteus. Those are going to solve the problem.

EDIT: This thread should have ended before I posted this. If only I read things first. Bing bang boom.