AIM/iChat Account Mysteriously Suspended

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by celaurie, Dec 4, 2004.

1. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Hey guys,

I came home last night to find my iChat account had been kicked off-line. When I tried to log back in, I got a message from the server telling me that account had been suspended.

I downloaded the actual AIM client and tried to log-in with that, but I was still unable to connect and then got a similar message. AIM directed me here.

I tried following the age verification process but the AIM web server does not even recognise my account name to allow me to log in. I have mailed AOL via the Report a Problem link, but have heard nothing back from them and I have a feeling I wont.

I'm just a bit peeved because I've used the AIM account celaurie for over 7 years now, and to try and switch all my online contact points over to my back-up account eirualec is going to be a nightmare. I feel like I've had part of my identity stolen!

Has anyone had this has happen to them? If so, did you manage to get resolution to the problem?

~cel, feels like he's missing a bit

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

3. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Grrrrr

Thanks dot. It seems I am not alone, but I want to know why!!! :mad:

4. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Grrrrr

It would seem this is not an isolated problem... A post to LiveJournal's Mac OS X Forum proves it...

::grumble grumble::

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'm in it with you. Perhaps they're doing something with really old screen names. I've had mine for 5-6 years. Hadn't used it for years (employer blocked IM), but new job no blockage and used it for last few weeks. Now, no love.

It doesn't recognize my name even to change the password. Obviously some sort of server-side problem.

6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I'm thinking it has something to do with the information you put in when you signed up - I lied about my age a lot when I was under 13 to get the AIM accounts since I was six years old or so, and maybe they figured it out? I have not noticed any of my accounts being suspended, but I do have 95 and I am only using 3 or so on a regular basis.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i've gotten that message before - my account is about 7 years old as well. and it was the same mention of age verification...

i just waited a few days and tried logging in. it's been working ever since...

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

you signed up at 6, and you have 95 (!) accounts?
    jesus. christ.
    but i doubt its the info, since AIM is not in the habit of investigating their clients i think...also, most of the people posting this problem are adults, and probably didn't lie/need to lie about their age.

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I've been online since I was six years old, as soon as I learned to read. That means I am coming up on ten years soon and yes, I do have 95 accounts - but I don't remember half of them, they are registered to e-mail addresses past, and I only use a few now and am proud to report I have not registered a new one in a few months.

10. pinks macrumors regular

I'm afraid that I don't have 95 AIM accounts, only one. I attempted to log on today only to find that the account has been suspended too!

Do we know yet whether this is a server issue or have the affected accounts really been suspended/deleted?

I only set mine up about a month ago and have used it regularly since, so it can't have been deleted because it was an old or inactive account.
    Very odd indeed.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My .Mac account name works just fine. I never experienced this outage. I agree with everyone else though - it's a bummer, and it's most likely a server-side issue.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That's interesting to hear--so it's not the age of the account, probably, if a new account has the same problem.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This "problem" is pissing me off in a very big way, yet again AOL prove just how much they F***ING SUCK!!!! :mad:

14. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Come now old boy... hold your end up... Have a cuppa tea. :)

More lost souls.

~cel

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Even a good old cup-a-tea can't help here. It's been 3 or 4 days now and I still can't get in. Mother f****** :mad: :eek:

16. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I know the feeling, but it gives me an excuse to moan and sit around drinking tea. ;)

I actually resurected my old .mac account today (after remembering the password) so celaurie@mac.com I shall be.

~cel

17. Logik macrumors 6502a

yikes.. i hope this doesn't happen with my SN.. i've had it for going on 8 years now... i'd be mighty pissed if it just up and stopped working...

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

19. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

But we'll have to wait to Monday, to see if they can fix it!

~cel :eek:

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

22. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

My whinning finally paid off... well, kind of. Okay, so it didn't... Bah! Make me a cuppa eD!

~cel, on leave for a week

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Who the hell has 95 accounts. And no offense (although I'm sure some will be taken) but why would you even have more than one and why would you open up new ones every couple of months. Just seems kind of stupid if you ask me.

jon

24. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Instead of asking these things, I like to just think them... ;)