AIM - iChat video not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Jun 26, 2005.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

My girlfriend just bought a Logitech Quickcam Notebook webcam and downloaded AIM 5.9. I have iChat AV 3.0. But when we're on each program, she does not have a video symbol next to her name and on her buddy list the video option for me is greyed out; however for everyone else on her list it isn't greyed out (presumably other AIM/Windows users).

Is this because I don't have a webcam? We tried fixing the firewall stuff but that didn't need to be done. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

er yeah its b/c you don't have a webcam.. if you want to video conf.. then you both need web cams... now im not sure if ichat can video conf to aim for win xp... i *think* it can.. but i have to check...

3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

not so sure

that doesn't make any sense for two reasons:

1) when she highlighted other people on her buddy list the video options are not greyed out, however, I know for a fact none of these people have webcams

2) we used Yahoo Messenger and one way video chat (her to me) worked just fine...although it moved at 1 fps!!!

and yes you can video conference between AIM (newest version) and iChat now, search it on google or go here

http://www.mvldesign.com/video_conference_tutorial.html

so does anyone else have any suggestions?

4. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

anyone know anything? google is coming up with nothing...

5. frenetic macrumors regular

I don't know how it works for aol chat, but in ichat there is an option to invite for a one way video chat. For instance, if I have an isight I can invite you for a one way video chat so that you can see me (but I can't see you, of course). So, the crucial question is whether the aol chat programme is also capable of doing so... Hope this helps.