AIM - iChat video not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Jun 26, 2005.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    My girlfriend just bought a Logitech Quickcam Notebook webcam and downloaded AIM 5.9. I have iChat AV 3.0. But when we're on each program, she does not have a video symbol next to her name and on her buddy list the video option for me is greyed out; however for everyone else on her list it isn't greyed out (presumably other AIM/Windows users).

Is this because I don't have a webcam? We tried fixing the firewall stuff but that didn't need to be done. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    er yeah its b/c you don't have a webcam.. if you want to video conf.. then you both need web cams... now im not sure if ichat can video conf to aim for win xp... i *think* it can.. but i have to check...
  3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    not so sure

that doesn't make any sense for two reasons:

1) when she highlighted other people on her buddy list the video options are not greyed out, however, I know for a fact none of these people have webcams

2) we used Yahoo Messenger and one way video chat (her to me) worked just fine...although it moved at 1 fps!!!

and yes you can video conference between AIM (newest version) and iChat now, search it on google or go here

so does anyone else have any suggestions?
  4. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    anyone know anything? google is coming up with nothing...
  5. frenetic macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2004
    I don't know how it works for aol chat, but in ichat there is an option to invite for a one way video chat. For instance, if I have an isight I can invite you for a one way video chat so that you can see me (but I can't see you, of course). So, the crucial question is whether the aol chat programme is also capable of doing so... Hope this helps.