AIM Keeps Crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LillieDesigns, Aug 2, 2006.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

It stays open for about 30 seconds and then gives me an error message saying that the program quit unexpectantly...im new to macs so i dont know what to do...i drug the aim folder to the trash bin and deleted and re installed but its still faulty :(

2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Why are you using AIM anyway? I use iChat and it works great for me.

BTW im new to mac too so may not know what im talking about. :/

3. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

can i talk to people using aol and aim using ichat?!

4. sadatkarim macrumors member

Haha, yeah you can.

Adium works well as well.

AIM = nono on mac.

5. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

grr now im getting worried...ichat was getting set up and it showed me on camera for about .5 seconds and then it just went away :(

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iChat is an Apple-made and supported front end for the AIM instant messaging protocol. Whatever you do, don't use the AOL AIM client - it's pure crap.

I would go so far to suggest Adium, you can customise it to within an inch of its life and it supports all kinds of protocols so you can talk to your AIM buddies and your Messenger buddies etc. from within the same program.

7. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

is there any way to use my current aim screen name using ichat? if so how do i set it up?

8. theman5725 macrumors 6502

just open up ichat and when it asks for ur sn and password put it in (assuming its your first time)

if its not ur first time using ichat go to ichat prefrences and add an account

9. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

AOL written software (gasp)

I would strongly urge you to use iChat or AdiumX - both are free. iChat is Apple's client and AdiumX is freeware also. Adium can get you on Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, AOL (AIM), ICQ, Gadu-Gadu, Jabber, Bonjour (aka Rendevous) and perhaps a few others. If you only need AIM, Google Talk, or Jabber, iChat is a nice program. There is a free add-on called Chax which you can get at Mac Majorgeeks download site for it (new version just released today actually) that adds more abilities and features to iChat.

10. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

This problem has been happening to my girlfriend on her brand new macbook. Any idea as to whether this is an intel thing? I use AIM on my powerbook g4 and it is fine, except it doesn't do video support but I don't have an isight anyway. I find ichat a lot more difficult to use because the buddylist is HUGE and the functions are laid out a little too spread apart.

11. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

That Chax program I suggested in an earlier post helps with some of the issues you mention (buddy list size, etc.)

Have you tried AdiumX?

12. buffalo macrumors 65816

On my G5 iMac, AIM crashes fairly often whenever I do a certain scroll with my Might Mouse. Its very annoying but I put up with it. I also have Adium installed but I just can't get into it, something about using AIM (on the PC) for the last 5 years keeps me on it.