Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
It stays open for about 30 seconds and then gives me an error message saying that the program quit unexpectantly...im new to macs so i dont know what to do...i drug the aim folder to the trash bin and deleted and re installed but its still faulty :(

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
Why are you using AIM anyway? I use iChat and it works great for me.

BTW im new to mac too so may not know what im talking about. :/

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
grr now im getting worried...ichat was getting set up and it showed me on camera for about .5 seconds and then it just went away :(

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iChat is an Apple-made and supported front end for the AIM instant messaging protocol. Whatever you do, don't use the AOL AIM client - it's pure crap.

I would go so far to suggest Adium, you can customise it to within an inch of its life and it supports all kinds of protocols so you can talk to your AIM buddies and your Messenger buddies etc. from within the same program.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
just open up ichat and when it asks for ur sn and password put it in (assuming its your first time)

if its not ur first time using ichat go to ichat prefrences and add an account

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
AOL written software (gasp)

I would strongly urge you to use iChat or AdiumX - both are free. iChat is Apple's client and AdiumX is freeware also. Adium can get you on Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, AOL (AIM), ICQ, Gadu-Gadu, Jabber, Bonjour (aka Rendevous) and perhaps a few others. If you only need AIM, Google Talk, or Jabber, iChat is a nice program. There is a free add-on called Chax which you can get at Mac Majorgeeks download site for it (new version just released today actually) that adds more abilities and features to iChat.

LillieDesigns said:
It stays open for about 30 seconds and then gives me an error message saying that the program quit unexpectantly...im new to macs so i dont know what to do...i drug the aim folder to the trash bin and deleted and re installed but its still faulty :(

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This problem has been happening to my girlfriend on her brand new macbook. Any idea as to whether this is an intel thing? I use AIM on my powerbook g4 and it is fine, except it doesn't do video support but I don't have an isight anyway. I find ichat a lot more difficult to use because the buddylist is HUGE and the functions are laid out a little too spread apart.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Tommyg117 said:
This problem has been happening to my girlfriend on her brand new macbook. Any idea as to whether this is an intel thing? I use AIM on my powerbook g4 and it is fine, except it doesn't do video support but I don't have an isight anyway. I find ichat a lot more difficult to use because the buddylist is HUGE and the functions are laid out a little too spread apart.

That Chax program I suggested in an earlier post helps with some of the issues you mention (buddy list size, etc.)

Have you tried AdiumX?

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
On my G5 iMac, AIM crashes fairly often whenever I do a certain scroll with my Might Mouse. Its very annoying but I put up with it. I also have Adium installed but I just can't get into it, something about using AIM (on the PC) for the last 5 years keeps me on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.