AIM "Talk" Feature on Mac (audio w/ windows users)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LucasLand, Jul 11, 2003.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I really like iChat AV, but i was dissappointed to learn that I couldn't use along with iSight for audio/video connections with windows users. My Father is a windows user and we would love to hear or see each other via AOL AIM.

I was wondering what could I use to at least hear my Father when he uses AOL's AIM windows app? I then remembered a few years ago when I had a classic mac, there was a version of AIM for OS9 that had the "Talk" feature that current windows users have now. I remember it, because my Dad was impressed with being able to hear me via the internet. Unfortunately he was never able to get his microphone to work, so I ended up not using it much. Today, I tried to do a search on the internet for that version. It took a while but I found it on aol's ftp site. They had a whole list of old versions. I downloaded each one starting with the oldest until i got to the one with the "talk" feature. I finally discovered version 4.3.4232, but it was labeled as version 3.5. weird. If you check out the screenshot you will see I have it running under OS9 within OS X. I think this is great, because now I can use that excellent mic on iSight to talk to windows users.

One weird note: I wanted to post the URL for everyone, but after I downloaded it and closed the browser I couldn't find it again. I found the general area it was in. Other versions were still listed but version 4.3.42 (3.5) was gone! I wonder if AOL noticed someone downloading it and took it off. If someone wants it let me know.

Attached Files:

• aim.jpg
      aim.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
  2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Can't you just go to http://www.aim.com/get_aim/mac/latest_macosx.adp and click on "OS 8.6 users click here to download AIM version 4.3" to get AIM for OS 9 with the Talk feature? That's the one I've always used when I wanted to use that feature.

--Fred

3. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

No, I tried that. When you use version 4.6 via OS9 it doesn't have the talk feature

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Granted I'm not an AOL/AIM user (AOL doesn't have a presence here so nobody uses AIM - MSN's the biggest ISP here), but why can't you just run the OS X version of AIM and use that?

5. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Because i would actually like to hear my Fathers voice with AIM. iChatAv is currently only mac-to-mac conferencing

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Isn't there a version of AIM for OS X? Is there only iChat?

7. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

There is an AIM for OS X (version 4.6) but it doesn't have the Talk feature. Supposedly Talk will be implemented in a later version of AIM for OS X.

--Fred

8. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

No, I meant use the actual OS 9 version--version 4.3. Like I said, go to the site I linked to, and click on "click here to download AIM version 4.3" and it will download AIM 4.3--the classic version, which DOES have the Talk feature.

--Fred

9. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Just to clarify, here's a shot of where you would click on that AIM site to get AIM 4.3 with the Talk feature.

--Fred

Attached Files:

10. RCAndrews macrumors newbie

please send me the app

hello foofan,
    i would love to have this app!!

thanks

rcandrews