AIM Triton to break iChat compatibility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chriskzoo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I am currently using iChat and my iSight to video chat with Windows users using AIM, but I hear that AOL may force everyone to upgrade to Triton and break the iChat compatibility.

Is there any other way for Windows and Mac users to use video chat besides the Windows user using AIM and the Mac user using iChat?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Yahoo has Video Chat

or you could teach the person to not use Windows

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds as if AIM is not particularly trying to get rid of iChat users...iChat is an "officially endorsed" solution, unlike Trillian or Adium / GAIM. So I would guess that it will get updated at some point to be Triton-compatible, or that Triton would be expanded to be more backwards compatible. Even the language at AOL's site is not very inflammatory:

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think they would ever go out of their way to break compatibility--it's just that they don't code very well. They'll be lucky if they get things to work between Triton users.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You're 100% right. Right now, Triton is CRAP. Sorry to say it this harsh, but it SUCKS. I have a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz 512MB RAM PC with a fresh install of XP and Triton does not run on it in a usable state. Moving the Triton app leaves a trail of windows that gradually disappear. Someone sending me an IM results in the noise, and the window popping up 30 seconds later. It's not usable.

Did you try and chat with someone on Triton? It's the same network, and it has the video function, why would they make it not work with iChat?

I guess we'll see. It would be nice to be able to chat with Triton users, but right now I wouldn't recommend anyone even download Triton.

Triton comes with AOL Browser, which isn't for the AOL service, it's just a browser. It sucks as well and there's no way to get rid of it. Either uninstall BOTH Triton and Browser, or keep both. Good going AOL, you reminded me why I don't use PCs.

6. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I dont think AOL is one of those companies that would start trying to trip up apple. The whole ichat app used to be mainly focused on AIM and even have the same little guy in the icon.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Funny, the other day I read that the person in charge of instant messaging at AOL left for greener pastures or at least, pastures which didn't smell like something died. :p

He claimed the integration of ICQ and AIM as one of his great successes, as it took the original IM client and server welded it into the second groups infrastructure. Anyone who's used either since that time will admit that it works, but just. That's quite a sucess! :D