AIM- WE ARE NO LONGER UNIQUE! :(

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacFan782040, Jun 14, 2005.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

So, with being able to talk to people on AOL IM for years while having an away message still up and people thinking your away, the Windows version finally comes out with this "feature". I am PISSED!!!!! I was ALWAYS the only person who could do this. Now I can't.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

boohoo, its a message client, no big deal, we are still the only ones who have active statuses though

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Gaim could do this years (I think before iChat). Dead Aim has also been around for a long time. This is nothing new.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the client on my sony ericsson mobile can do that no prob ;)
    what i'm really waiting for in ichat is auto-responding as far as away messages, not sure how they'd do that along with the talk while you're away business tho lol

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

iChat can auto-respond with an away message. Go the preferences an the first one gives you that option in there.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

On AIM for Windows, you can make everyone think you are offline and still talk to people, a well used feature.

Of course, I uninstalled AIM for Windows as it was like purposely signing up for spyware. Once installed on everything from My Documents folder to the Start menu pops up "Try AOL FREE FOR 50 Days!"

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

is that a tiger thing? i really can't find it...(panther)...:eek:

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Am I the only Mac person who uses AIM to go on AIM???

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I used to use AIM on Panther but with Tiger, iChat can deal with invisible mode users and anything else recent that had been a pain earlier.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yep, tis a Tiger thing.

You really should try something else. AIM for Mac hasn't been updated for over a year, and it sucked. Back then, we hardly had any choice. But today iChat and Adium has matured a lot, there are no longer any reason to stick with that POS of a program.

12. ebuc macrumors regular

Nope; I use it as well, but only because none of the other clients work...

I used adium, but now I'm at a school with an HTTP-Port only proxy. I was using iChat, because the proxy preferences worked. Alas, Tiger seems to have broken that part of iChat. Now I'm stuck with AIM which unexpectedly quits on my many times a day (another new feature of Tiger ;) )

So, you might be the only one who uses AIM willingly!

Adium is the most customizable, least bloated, greatest looking, simply best instant messenging client

13. lordmac macrumors regular

Everyone likes adium but quite frankly im not quite sure why it still needs a lot of work imo. AIM for mac aside, adium is still missing to many things to be useful for me. Really this biggest things i find frustrating about aduim A/V stuff aside, is that direct connecting to do file transfers just plain doesn't work. That and if you talk to people using it, they don't notice it but you do, it appears that they sign off, on off, on, off, on repeatably over the course of say 5 seconds, pretty much whenever something isn't said for a while. That and its a simple matter of fact adium is not supported by aol and aol quite frankly doesn't like all the third party messengers. So if you get used to adium and aol decides they want to make some change in their aim system that requires an update to the aim clients, your screwed until the adium community updates adium, which even if takes only a short time to happen thats still time lost you wouldn't have had with ichat or aim.

14. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I had been doing that for years on Windows with Trillian.

Then after switching I did it on Adium...I never use the actual AIM client....ewwwww.

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I don't know, Adium is pretty rock solid on my machine. I used to have the file transfer problems, but they went away when I updated Adium.

I'd use it even if I couldn't file transfer, it's just too pretty not to use!

16. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I use Adium, but I keep the regular AIM client open for file transfers, and for my shared folder.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I want something that can do video chat. I know Mercury exists, but this feature was just implemented and is supposed to be far from perfect.

Like at the WWDC Keynote, a new MSN Messenger is coming out for the Mac, and I really hope it supports video.

18. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Oh well.

Now, all AIM and Yahoo for OSX need is full-functionality (video / audio)!

And yeah, the 'TRY AOL YOU N00B!' shortcuts are awesome...

19. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I've always liked iChat the best. I've never tried the official AIM client. I tried Adium, but I still prefer iChat.

20. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i still cant do direct connect like in AIM on adium, and i am up to date!!!!

21. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I can't do file transfers over 500 kb on Adium. I also cannot do direct IM on Adium.

I stick with Adium for the norm; iChat for multimedia stuff. Harmonious.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I would use ichat but for one thing... when someone has an away message up, you cannot see how long they have been idle. I don't know why, but that really bothers me. If they are just idle with no message you can see how long it's been, but not if they are away with a message up. Just fix that and I will say goodbye to AIM forever!