Aiport Express and Airport Extreme Differences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeytpg, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

ok,...........what's the difference with Airport Express and Airport Extreme??

i can use them both as a Wireless base station??........which one would be better to use are Wireless router base station?

2. starcrossed macrumors regular

If I am correct, the only difference between the basestations come from the fact with Extreme you can have up to 50 users and you can have ethernet out of the station, and Express you can have up to 10 users and no ethernet out plus you can have audio streaming no available on the Extreme. If your like me, and have just two computers and want to surf the internet wirelessly, print wirelessly, and stream audio wirelessly, go for the Airport Express and save i believe $50.

3. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

so the express ain't got an ethernet connection input?........but i can later on buy an ethernet adapter or something?........because i want to get a wireless base station....so i can use my powerbook wirelessly at my bed, desk, livingroom, dinningroom, kitchen, BATHROOM, TOILET! :p ehehhe and ALWAYS have internet! :D......

i'll be using it at my dorm at the university, (in Spain) and so far the only thing i know is that they use CABLE internet........BUT, here in Dominican Republic i use Ethernet.........and i'd like to be able to use ethernet TOO when i come back home.

so which one's the better option?

do you recommend another wireless base station (non apple ?)

4. jjmaximum macrumors member

Go with the Express

Yes, it does have an Ethernet input (for your DSL modem). For one user in one dorm, it is better (and cheaper) than the Extreme.

5. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

and how about three users?........because i'll buy it for me.....but i have two more roomates that will probably like to use wireless internet too......so why not share.........can the three of us go wireless with Express?....

right now i'm thinking about buying a linksys router.........i've heard they're great, they work well it mac and they're cheaper than Express and Extreme :D

6. starcrossed macrumors regular

Yeah it has the Ethernet input, but like other basestations, it doesn't have a way to also have another Ethernet output but many people don't have a use for that. For example, to bring another computer onto the network that doesn't have a wireless card. And yes you can have 3 users with the Airport Express, up to 10 users without a problem.

I think it's up to you whether you go for the Airport Express or the Linksys router. With AE, also get a wireless connection to your stereo, and a beautiful, Apple-branded product. With Linksys, you get no stereo connection, an ugly router, but you save some money. But, like I said, I have my Airport Express and have had any problems and enjoy very much. I have not tried the Linksys routers, so I cannot provide any real opinions on that.

7. Porsche macrumors newbie

I own a Linksys wireless router (this one, to be precise) and am very pleased with it. It works perfectly with my iBook with Airport, not to mention two PCs connected with ethernet cables (the router has 4 wired ethernet ports) and two more connecting wirelessly. The GUI configuration is a snap to use from any web browser.

I, for one, don't mind how my wireless router looks, as long as it does the job I purchased it for. All it does is sit in the corner of the room, anyway. :p

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I just got an express and i love it. i'm sitting on my bed surfing the net all without wires. Set up was a snap. Just plug it in, and the sofware does it all for you, so simple. I think the hardest part was opening the box :rolleyes:
    Yes all of you can use it. I would be careful about sharing it with your roommates. i l plan on using my express at college but am going to try and figure out out to only allow me to use it cause i don't trust anyone. if they do somethingh stupid while using the wireless connection that is "yours" you will be blamed for it unless you know your roommates and can trust they won' t do something bad. But then again you can't trust the people down the hall from you. Just be careful with it.
    I think i'm only going to use wireless when I don't feel like being attached to a cable.

9. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well actually i DO trust my roomates, i graduated with one of em in school and we're close friends, and the other one, well he's a very good friend of MY friend..........so there's a trusting connection there.