aiport extreme and lanlocked pc's!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dipole, Jan 30, 2004.

1. dipole macrumors newbie

Hi. I am new to mac, I just got my ibook and airport base station a week ago. I am totally lost on how to configure my network.
    Background
    I have ppoe dsl modem. This is connected to my airport base station via the wan port. All is good, the iBook works without wires. The part I am having trouble with is the PC's via ethernet. I have an ethernet cable from the airport base stations ethernet port connected to a network hub. Also connected to this hub are 2 PC's running winxp. I had expected the base station to give those pc's a dynamic IP (as is configured via the airport admin utility), and thus they would be part of my happy network.

They are not being assigned ips, nor can they connect to the internet. Could someone please help me with this? I have read the "designing your network" pdf from apple, but I don't see my specific situation. Deja is also no help.

thanks

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

First things first.

Try plugging in one of your WinXP desktops directly into the AEBS ethernet port. This way, you'll narrow down the problem since I suspect it has something to do with the hub.

Perhaps the AEBS can't supply an IP address through a hub, in which case you might need to go with a full router or a switch.

Actually, I'm not to knowledgeable with switches and hubs. Just the basics. But if my suspicions are correct, if you eliminate the hub, the PCs will work.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Definitely don't put a router in there or you'll need to configure a DHCP Relay.

I would try as ftaok stated above. If it works without the hub, then check to make sure you are getting link lights for the airport and the pc's. You might need to plug the airport into an uplink or MDI/MDI-X port. If it has a button next to it, plug the airport into it and if it doesn't link, press the button. You'll need link lights or things won't work.

4. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Would it be possible for you to place the router before the Base Station, and have the base station connected directly to the router? I assume that would be similar to the setup you had before you got the Base Station and the Macintosh. That way the Base Station only has to worry about giving your iBook an IP Address, and not dishing out numbers to the Router. Hope this works. :)

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that the modem plugs into the LAN port and the other hub should plug into the WAN port. Well, that's the way I set it up at my aunt and uncle's house... :rolleyes:

6. dipole thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.
    I used the suggestion from Billicus, and all is working well. I probably should have just gotten an access point as I am not using any of the functions of the base station. But hey, it sure looks cool.