Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I have an airport extreme base station. It has worked fine for about a year but since Christmas two new networks have popped up in my area and they appear to be interfering. My network now sometimes will drop right off. I got my airport set to automatic channels to I don’t think I can get better range. Should I buy an airport express and use it as a repeater, or should I buy an antenna? They are very similar in price. The express it a bit more expensive. Thanks for any help

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
how can i tell what channel the other base stations are running on? or should i just play around until i found a good one.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
ok i am on channel 1 and the other 2 networks are both on channel 6. One of the two keep jumping in and out of range. So channel one is my best bet. And which would you suggest picking up a express or a antenna?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
trainguy77 said:
ok i am on channel 1 and the other 2 networks are both on channel 6. One of the two keep jumping in and out of range. So channel one is my best bet. And which would you suggest picking up a express or a antenna?

Cool, see how it goes.

Express definitely - has airtunes ;-)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
My signal disappeared just now so I went down to my other computer which is about 15 feet from the base station and found out it had no connection either! I did a reset of the base station and set it up again with it set to channel 1, same problem. I reset it again and left it on channel 11 and it was fine like that. So something must have been interfering with it, possible a hidden network. Any way so far it has seemed solid.

One last question I got a windows XP laptop that I have been trying to get to connect to the network, when I tell it to connect to asks for the key then after I enter it, it just sits there with a window saying waiting for network and then it stops, with no error. It can connect to a computer-to-computer network but not the main one. I just noticed that in Istumbler it couldn’t tell what type of security I have! I got 128 bit WEP. Could this have something to do with this? Thanks for any help!

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
My signal disappeared just now so I went down to my other computer which is about 15 feet from the base station and found out it had no connection either! I did a reset of the base station and set it up again with it set to channel 1, same problem. I reset it again and left it on channel 11 and it was fine like that. So something must have been interfering with it, possible a hidden network. Any way so far it has seemed solid.

One last question, I got a windows XP laptop that I have been trying to get to connect to the network, when I tell it to connect to asks for the key then after I enter it, it just sits there with a window saying waiting for network and then it stops, with no error. It can connect to a computer-to-computer network but not the main one. I just noticed that in Istumbler it couldn’t tell what type of security I have! I got 128 bit WEP. Could this have something to do with this? Thanks for any help!

How do you delete posts? Sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.