Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone,

Recently I asked advice on which laptop to get, and thanks to you guys I've nailed it down to the Air.

However, I still don't know whether to get the 11" or 13" model?

I really like that the 13" has the SD Card slot, and longer battery, which for my use is essential. However, my concern is that the 11" is actually a lot more portable?
I will be using this computer at school (I'm in 10th grade). I will bring it to school each day in my backpack, and i'm not so concerned about weight because I've been using a Late 2008 MacBook (Aluminium) up until now and haven't had any problems weight-wise; however, I will be taking out and back into the bag a lot and I think the 11" would make a big difference because of the weight? Also I'd be using it for the bigger part of the day at school without charging so, as I said the battery is really essential. I hope you guys can help me decide.

Thanks a lot,
Pietro

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Hi everyone,

Recently I asked advice on which laptop to get, and thanks to you guys I've nailed it down to the Air.

However, I still don't know whether to get the 11" or 13" model?

I really like that the 13" has the SD Card slot, and longer battery, which for my use is essential. However, my concern is that the 11" is actually a lot more portable?
I will be using this computer at school (I'm in 10th grade). I will bring it to school each day in my backpack, and i'm not so concerned about weight because I've been using a Late 2008 MacBook (Aluminium) up until now and haven't had any problems weight-wise; however, I will be taking out and back into the bag a lot and I think the 11" would make a big difference because of the weight? Also I'd be using it for the bigger part of the day at school without charging so, as I said the battery is really essential. I hope you guys can help me decide.

Thanks a lot,
Pietro

I say go for the 13inch. I have one, and while I use it for university, I still have to take it out of a bag multiple times throughout the day. I think that the better battery life should be a deciding factor, and it's going to seem like a feather compared to your previous computer.

If price is at all a concern though nothing is "wrong" with the 11 inch. I just prefer the larger screen and better battery.

I don't think the SD card really matters that much, I never got why people cared much about it. Just plug your device in by USB if you have to.

Hope that helps.

Stay in school.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I say go for the 13inch. I have one, and while I use it for university, I still have to take it out of a bag multiple times throughout the day. I think that the better battery life should be a deciding factor, and it's going to seem like a feather compared to your previous computer.

If price is at all a concern though nothing is "wrong" with the 11 inch. I just prefer the larger screen and better battery.

I don't think the SD card really matters that much, I never got why people cared much about it. Just plug your device in by USB if you have to.

Hope that helps.

Stay in school.

Thanks,
I'll probably end up going with that.

Pietro

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well with the sd card slot I can buy a sd card and leave it in and have it be like another storage location ;) cheap way to upgrade hdd space

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Look at the size of the desk in your classrooms.
In some of mine I can barely fit my air.

But the sd slot is a nice addition especially with the nifty mini drive coming out.

Also consider what classes you actually need it for

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
yeah I guess, but then you have an ugly SD card hanging out

A Nifty MiniDrive solves that.

The 11" seems more inherently special, but the 13" is much more functional in reality. Your mileage may vary though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.