Air 2010 "sticky" trackpad - how to tell if software or hardware?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JonLa, Jul 2, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi folks,
    My 2010 Air (13" 4GB) recently developed what can only be described as a "sticky" trackpad - it selects and drags when i'm moving the cursor about. I've done a lot of googling and this is potentially a hardware problem which can be solved by a trackpad replacement. Before I contact Apple about it (and luckily I do have applecare, though only the in-store Edu version) I wanted to eliminate software causes.

I've uninstalled everything that I might have put on after it started happening, reset PRAM and the other one (NVRAM?). The next step may be a clean installation of OSX, but that's gonna be time consuming and irritating, not least because I'll want a 2nd, full time machine backup, and if its a software problem that might just reintroduce the problem. Is there anything I could look for in the log files that might enlighten me? Any tools you can recommend to analyse the trackpad directions?

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

I'd say it's a hardware issue...Had the same thing on my 2011 MBA...Apple replaced the trackpad in store in a couple of hours...no questions asked.

3. macrumors 6502

It sounds like a hardware issue. Had the same thing happen to a user recently and a new trackpad fixed it.