Air America!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eclipse525, Apr 13, 2004.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I'm not sure if this topic has been coverd but I thought I'd mention it. How many people are aware of the new radio station "Air America" <http://www.airamericaradio.com >? What's your take on it? I personally find it refreshing to hear today's issues being taked about in a stripped down, un-PC way. At times the sarcasim is a bit much BUT it's coming from an honest place and that is something that has been missing from the media for years now.

~e

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm loving it.

franken is funny as hell , ntm, knows his stuff.

and randi rhodes is terrific...i'd love it if she was asking bush questions tonite.

she makes rush sound like a drug addicted windbag...oh wait...

3. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I think the station got pulled today in Los Angeles. I turned it on today and it seems that it is now a mexican talk show.

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Apparently, the station from which they had been "leasing" airtime says AirAmerica hadn't paid up on their contract. AirAmerica says that is a "complete lie." Nonetheless, AirAmerica has been pulled by the leasing stations in Los Angeles and Chicago.

5. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

I just read this.
    http://drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Drudgereport gets his news off of the AP wires just like everyone else only he reports things others tend to ignore.

This other guy calls Drudge a liar?
    so I have no idea whats up. This link came from Drudge report too. One would think if he was lieing he wouldn't put up a link to the report that he was lieing?
    http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/resNews.htm

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

chicago tribune is carrying it

7. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

The bounced check story is a complete lie.

According to "Air-America" honcho, there was a dispute with monies owed to "MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting". Supposedly, $315,000. was paid immediately. "Air-America" put stop payments on additional checks issued due to breach of contract on the distributors part. They are in court and should have some sort of answer by the morning, hopefully. Almost seems like some powers that be, don't peticularly care for the type of programming "Air-America" is boldly presenting. Just a guess.

Here's there short press release.

http://www.airamericaradio.com/main...cContent&screenKey=resPressRelease&htmlId=718

~e

8. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

www.boortz.com

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. Consider the source. Boortz sounds like a nut.

10. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

consider the message, the message sounds solid, accurate, and correct. Which is why I sometimes don't like posting the link too many people waste time arguing over the source and ignoring the message.

11. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

the source goes to credibility
    if we are unable to judge the credibility of the source
    how are we to judge the quality of the message?

I like boortz and have grown up listening to him (he is an atlanta institution) as entertainment
    one of the most often repeated quotes on his radio show is "don't trust anything I say unless you can substantiate it yourself"
    I have heard him lie
    Royal Marshall his side kick has caught him in lies
    he is known for at the very least bending the truth

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems to me that Air America is in deep doodoo if they have to pay to get on the air. The usual routine is to persuade stations that by their carrying your program, they'll profit from advertising sales.

Don't syndicated radio programs pay folks like Boortz, et al, just as newspapers pay columnists? I doubt that Molly Ivins pays to be read...

'Rat

13. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

FYI just reported on TV Judge ordered station in Chicago to put Air America back on the air.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, radio and newspapers don't work the same way. A nationally syndicated radio program comes with its own advertising and pays the radio station for airtime, otherwise the radio station gets nothing for the deal.

15. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Rush Limbaugh, Neal Boortz, WJRR, Sean hannity, The Factor are syndicated and they sell their services to radio stations. The local radios stations play their own commercials and collect the moneys for doing so themselves not the syndication. The syndication's home station does play commercials but only for their home area unless others decide not to play their own and I don't know anyone who does but then I don't know everyone. Now then the hosts also sell their services for reading commercials where they sit in a sound booth a read scripts for a variety of local radio stations but they get paid extra for that and the radio station itself is still responsible for selling the advertising space in the first place.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i took his interesting libertarian quiz and i landed in the left liberal quadrant with leanings towards a centrist and libertarian...i have some libertarian ideas but i thought i was clearly a centrist, not just close to one

whew! i am somewhat fiscally conservative and i am glad that i did not land on the conservative quadrant ;)

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jef, why worry about labels? I'm "a conservative" on many issues; I'm libertarian to liberal on others, albeit fewer. Somebody had one of these Internet political tests which concluded I'm a "paleo-libertarian", whatever that is.

As long as you've earned respect for honesty and integrity, whatever political label gets hung on you doesn't matter one iota.

'Rat

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Is there a way to plug AirAmerica into iTunes as a radio station?

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the liberal/moderate press has come to tag the conservative more as a social conservative instead of a fiscal conservative, but i really believe a generation ago, the gop was truly into small government (less spending) and leaving people alone

but since the change starting with reagan, i have despised some of the social conservative's agenda...but i don't know if that is a skewed press who likes to make the gop as villains...and the best way to do so is to give a lot of press to the more preposterous members of the gop

at my core i am a conservative...but in terms of conserving money

another label which used to fit me was the term conservative christian which meant i believe in the bible over some politically charged/motivated denomination or sect who modifies the scripture for their benefit...but today conservative christian often means a republican who is into social conservatism and may not even be a follower of christ...in that case, they should call themselves social conservatives, not christians...being a christian is a personal choice, not a political membership in the gop or any other group ;)

when i used to think muslim, i would think of a religious person, but some extremists of late have really painted a bad name on the faith

20. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38152