Air or I mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Berardi3, May 4, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello everyone im looking for my first Mac computer and am tossed between MacBook air 11 or 13 or buying the new base I Mac 21.5 I'm looking dogie the best value for my money I like to do photos maybe video an it need to be fast any suggestions any one ?

2. macrumors demi-god

MacBook Airs:
    extremely portable
    slower processors than the iMac
    SSD is faster than the iMac's traditional hard drive, but less storage capacity
    memory can't be upgraded after purchase
    no Thunderbolt ports

iMacs:
    not very portable
    faster processors than the Air
    traditional hard drive is slower than the Air's SSD, but has more storage capability
    memory can be upgraded after purchase
    has Thunderbolt ports

Either machine is capable of photos and videos.

The iMac is going to have a faster processor, so it's going to be faster at CPU intensive tasks, like converting/export video. For me, I don't do these tasks often.

The Airs have the solid-state drives, which are insanely quick. This can make the Air feel like a faster-overall system when doing normal daily tasks, like surfing the web, email, iTunes, etc.

There's really no clear-cut answer. You're going to have to figure out if you need something portable or not, and if you want a Mac with a faster processor or a faster hard drive.

For me, the slower processor of the Air was outweighed by the very fast SSD. I'll gladly wait longer for the Air to complete CPU intensive tasks that I do a few times a month in exchange for doing the tasks I do daily much quicker than any other Mac I've ever used.

3. macrumors member

Well, if you don't need edit away from home the iMac would be better just cause of it's specs and screen size. The macbook air would work if you needed to edit on-the-go. Also if you have a large amount of photos/videos the iMac could hold it all. With the mba you most likely would need to bring along a portable external hdd.

4. macrumors 6502

You forgot to add that the iMac has a much much much bigger screen which, besides everything else, is of much higher quality than than any MBA.

OP in every aspect the iMac is the better value for money - faster, bigger screen, more convenient even for trivial tasks like writing and browsing, let alone picture editing. You have to decide whether you need a laptop or a desktop.

I've decided to go for both, as it turned out I cannot give up the ergonomics of a desktop computer while at home.

5. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

need it to go with you...air

will use just at home...imac

that was easy!

6. macrumors regular

I think this is about the simplest answer, but very very true.

7. macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'd understand the dilemma between a MBP and an Air, but and Air and an iMac???? :confused:

8. macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

One is a desktop, the other is an ultraportable.

If you need a portable computer, get the Air. If not, the iMac is a far better value. It's pretty simple.:eek:

9. macrumors 6502

This is like asking if you could buy a car or a boat.

10. macrumors 68000

Those Apples are apples and oranges.

11. macrumors 6502

More like apples and orangutans.