Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
A friend of mine wants to get a Mac Notebook, and she has decided between the Air and the 13" Pro. However, she really likes the Air.

She is a heavy Netflix user, so she wants to know if the Air can handle that? I have a feeling that it wont.

Also, how's the battery compared to the Pro-this is her 2nd criteria. She wants the longest possible battery life.

With this info in hand, which one is better for her?

(And yes, I have and air, but i don't use streaming movie services and really don't pay attention to my battery life)

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
netflix looks slightly better on pro screen...

battery life much better with pro....

easy choice with these criteria

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
she streams Netflix in HD, btw

if that's the case is the 1.86 air ok?
or does she need to go for the 2.13?

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Just my subjective observation after having owned the macbook air 13" for a couple of weeks, and I also own a 13" macbook pro. Battery life is so good for both notebooks that literally one can go for nearly a full day, have some battery left over when you plug it into the charger at night. You can squeeze the macbook pro for a couple extra hours compared to the 13" air.

Netflix video is virtually the same, enough so that I wouldn't want to live on the difference. Now the Pro drives an external display nicely for watching TV, and I haven't tested this on the air yet.

I would highly suggest multiple trips to the apple store so that she candle handle the boxes. I work mostly off of ISOs, and do a lot of SSH and vmware on my box, plus am very mobile, so the light weight sold me on the air. My wife has the pro now, but if I was doing video production, I would lean to the pro.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
resolution is better on air; but color saturation is better on pro....

I would suggest that the video quality on netflix is poor enough that you would have a really hard time making a case using that as comparison between the two displays.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I would suggest that the video quality on netflix is poor enough that you would have a really hard time making a case using that as comparison between the two displays.

fair enough...but i have seen netlfix on both and prefer the colors on the pro model better

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Get a refurb 13" Pro and put your own SSD in.
Most all of the MBA benefits with none of the drawbacks.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
probable but no one knows for sure

The 13" Pro hasn't been updated for a long time so it seems to stand to reason that it may be when Sandy Bridge chipsets are available again, but who knows. Right now I think the 13" Air is one sweet machine. Play around with both and see what you think.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
The 13" Pro hasn't been updated for a long time so it seems to stand to reason that it may be when Sandy Bridge chipsets are available again, but who knows. Right now I think the 13" Air is one sweet machine. Play around with both and see what you think.

It's just a matter of "when" rather than "if"... of course as soon as I say that, someone will show up and say they have inside information that the 13" MBP is on the chopping block :rolleyes:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Honestly, just wait on the new MBP - but if she wants one now, MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.