Air Port Extreme card and linksys 'g' router

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 8xover, Nov 21, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2003
    please help if you can.

Is the AirPort Extreme card compatible with the Linksys 'g' router?
  2. macrumors member

Jun 11, 2003
    yes and no, I've heard people having lots of problems with linksys g-router when it comes using wpa. However, wep shouldn't be a problem. Another thing to consider is the router's ability to maintain high throughput in combined mode (g + b). Most of the g-routers I tried peformed well in g only mode, but did terrible in g + b. I went through 3 g-routers before finding what I liked. If you are considering linksys do some more research on apple support forums because last time I checked, some people weren't able to get linksys in wpa to work with airport extreme. (I went for buffalo ).
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    i've had no problems with AE + linkysy g, but i know others have. and i have heard very good things about buffalo, so you do have alternatives if you decide linksys isn't the way to go.

there are a ton of threads here about wireless networking, and linksys in particular -- just do a search and poke around.and if you have questions that aren't already covered, ask away; someone here will know the answer.
  4. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco