Air Port Extreme? (thinking of selling)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brobson, Dec 31, 2004.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

My new iMac G5 is equipped with Airport Extreme.
    I have dial up and really don't want to buy a base station.
    I am thinking of selling this card. I noticed on Ebay they have a gaget with it.
    Do I manually remove a card in my imac and sell it with this card?
    Thanks a million.
    Brenda

2. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

sorry for my ignorance.
    I meant do I sell this CD version 3.4 and remove something out of my computer that I suspect may be the card?
    Brenda

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...if I understand you correctly, the "gadget" you are talking about *is* the airport extreme card. It is a card that is added to the main system board of the iMac to enable it to connect to wireless networks. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

Hopefully that works. If it didn't, go to images.google.com and type in "Airport Extreme Card" and you'll see a picture of what it looks like. It is located in a port on the motherboard inside your computer -- underneath the plastic casing.

If you were to sell it, you would DEFINITELY need to take the card out and include it -- people want the card, not the CD so much. Also what CD do you mean? If it's the one that says MacOS 10.3.x (where x is whatever number, maybe 5 or 6 on what shipped on your computer?), then you should keep that, not sell it with the card. If the CD specifically says Airport on it, then I guess you can include it in the sale.

I guess you could take it out and sell it, if you're pretty sure you are never going to want it. What do you plan to do with the computer? Is it always going to be in an environment where you have only dialup, or is there a chance it will be in a high speed environment in the future?

You can remove it by yourself, but based on your knowledge level, you don't sound that comfortable with electronics to me. I don't mean that as an insult or anything, but if that is the case, please be very careful not to damage your iMac just to get $60 for the card! :( Anyone who is basically familiar with the inside of a computer should be able to do it for you, though.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As it's already installed, and probably, as mentioned, only worth ~$60 on eBay, I agree strongly with mkrishnan - I'd leave it in. It's just not worth potentially damaging your system and the card just to remove it, and it's doing no harm now.

5. glosterseagul macrumors regular

Totally agree leave it where it is...never know what the future may hol.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In the future you may realize that you want the airport, and then you would have to buy a new card. For example: I bought my iBook last fall, and opted against the internal bluetooth adapter, because I felt that I would never use bluetooth. Well, now there are several tempting mice and such that I can't use without an ugly dongle sticking out of my computer. In your case you can always replace it later, but why go through the hassle of taking it out, selling it and then possibly having to re-buy a card in the future, when you can just leave it in? If you really want to sell it, you can get about 60 bucks for it, which is less than most because you won't have a box.

Keep this in mind as well — if you have another computer within (about) 200 feet, you can set up your computer as a airport provider, and provide internet to the other computer over airport without needing a hub. This method is very convenient, because you won't have to buy a base station, and any time you are connected to the internet on your iMac, the connection will be available to other computers in your house.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision, and good luck! :)

7. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks All

You all are right. I just hope I use it someday.
    I am glad I got bluetooth, just in case. (thanks J)
    Brenda

8. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Keep it in .. it might be useful one day and will keep the resale value up ..