Air Port -- Potential wasted

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cormac O'Reilly, May 11, 2003.

1. Cormac O'Reilly macrumors newbie

Am I the only one to never get the new Airport Extreame working, I wonder? I've had two goes, each ending in a returned product to Apple. While the print server works really well, wireless connectivity sucks, assuming it ever works in the first place. I've even used the Dr Bot antenna to no effect. Frustrated, I changed out my Linksys 801.11b for an 801.11g, which works perfectly. Pity as I'd like to use the Airport to Airport connectivity to build a hot-spot in the village where my second home is located.

2. unc32 macrumors regular

Huh?

are you sure it is the airport? Have you tried anyother wireless points. Perhaps you situation provides for bad connectivity. If the print sever works then it seems to be having a good connection. Perhaps it is your ISP or you don't have it working correctly. If the print server works then it works. Check you connection.

3. Cormac O'Reilly thread starter macrumors newbie

Good suggestions, but I've done these things already. It could be that the signal was (really, really) poor, but I was right beside the Airport basestation (in my lab). And I tested it with a linksys (PC), apple airport (iMac) card, and an Apple Extream card (Power Book). Nothing worked and, if this were the first time, I would just assume that the Airport Extream was faulty. But I'd been through thie whole process once before, with the same results. What was really gauling was that I called tech support who asked for my serial number; they could not find it in their database, so support was refused.

As I said, i just replaced my 801.11b Linksys base station with the new Linksys 801.11g base station and everything work right away. Incidentally, all the computer based 801.11 cards worked perfectly on both the Linksys 801.11b and 801.11g base stations. Point is, this is a real disappointment as just about everything from Apple works without a problem -- including Bluetooth, which I saw others were having problems with.

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Problems as well

My girlfriends Aunt got an airport extreme to use with her imac DV and 17" imac g4. I was never able to configure the airport neither through wireless nor ethernet. I reset the airport, and did all the steps in the manual, and still a no go. I have set up numerous airports, but no ariport extremes, I guess I will just have her send it back.