Air to get refresh in June - CNET

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jinxednuance, Feb 11, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2011
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    Southern York County, PA
    I'd be surprised if the airs go first, but I guess anything is possible.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2010
    This doesn't seem very likely. It would be an 8 month refresh cycle which is too short for Apple. Plus, no way Apple would make the iPhone 5 share the limelight with something else..
  4. ArmCortexA8, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    Terra Australis
    Not happy Jan - only just purchased a brand new MBA 13" / 128GB / 1.8GHZ C2D / 4GB RAM which is on its way from China (factory) as we speak, courtesy of the Apple Store Australia.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2010
    Haha. My 11" refurb is slated to arrive tomorrow as well. As I said, it really isn't likely quite so soon. I think October again would be safer for Apple.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2010

8 months is perfect and right in line for the beginning of the back to school cycle.

hopefully bettery battery life and the lighted keyboard among other improvements.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2011
    I would hope so.

Now I am even more confused, do I get the refreshed MBP or wait for the ref MBA, but who wants to wait another 4 months :(
  8. macrumors 68020

Jan 10, 2007
    Let's hope Apple does the right thing and puts the backlit-keyboard BACK into the MBA.

My Rev.C MBA w/ 100 gig SSD, 2.13GHz chip and backlit-keyboard are still running strong, and will continue to do so until Apple reinstates the backlit-keyboard.
  9. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Agreed. In their first Macbook Air ad, they specifically say "the backlight keyboard is ideal for flights etc..." and the newer one doesn't have any, really?! We need lights!
  10. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2010
    We'll see I guess. But updating to SB means Apple would be stuck with only Intel HD graphics in the Airs (def no room for a discrete).
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2008
    1 month after iPhone 4, everyone keep buzzing about iPhone 5...

new Macbook air in June... i seriously doubt so.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2010
    My thoughts exactly. But, we new MBA owners might just be in denial and feeling bitter. As I said, we'll see. Rumors predicting dates this early are rarely accurate..
  13. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Exactly. This will be a lateral move. CPU-intensive tasks will be faster, but streaming video and gaming will be about the same or slightly worse. The update makes sense from a supply perspective. Apple needs to switch to Sandy Bridge since the C2D is out of production and there is no way they can keep supplying 2 models of MacBook Air, the MacBook, the 13" Pro, and Mini lines with it.

That said, an 11" with a Sandy Bridge is definitely more appealing to me than the 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo...
  14. macrumors 68030

May 13, 2010
    O god... Did I just hear intel graphic card?

Get me out of here. I don't care what apple says, intel says, or even Steve says on this issue. INTEL CANNOT MAKE GRAPHICS CARD, PERIOD.

Their graphic card is so awful. Help me god.

Sandy Bridge processor is still dual core. Yes, we will see the performance improvements in certain things...

But, that GPU.... Wow.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2011
    Take it easy champ. I know people say things to make themselves feel better about their purchase but that was a tad bit too dramatic.
  16. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005

The Sandy Bridge Intel graphics chipset is on par with the peformance of the Geforce 9400m in the last generation macbook air (not current).

Any benefit the new processor bump gives you with SandyBridge will be offset against those integrated graphics.

What this means for the end consumer is that give or take it is a comparable experience to present users with the Oct 2010 refresh models, those that whilst having an older chipset (core2duo) have the benefits of the Geforce 320m gpu which is better than the integrated solution in SandyBridge.

Remember OSX and applications like iLife etc. offload a lot of stuff to the gpu.
  17. macrumors 68030

May 13, 2010
    This has nothing to do with purchase...

Every technology gets outdated. Your point is?

Expression should be that dramatic because that is how much intel sucks with graphics card. Have you used them before? I have and I returned it next day.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2009
    under your bed
  19. macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    I am so glad there is going to be refresh!
    I have had terrible battery problems with the 11" and apple is going to let me return it. I was about to get another one, but now I think that it would be very wise to wait. Thank goodness for macrumors, saved me again from getting the older tech.
  20. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2011
    You mention Apple will let you return it, will you keep it till June and then return it?
  21. macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    No, we have enough corporate computers around that I can get by for a few more months. This isnt for home or school use, it is large enterprise.