air travel with a mac mini

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by panda@large, Apr 3, 2006.

1. panda@large macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2006
    Hi, everyone

I'm going to travel (with American Airline) to Tokyo (from Toronto via Chiargo) and I like to take a mac mini with me(it's a gift). I'll probably package it with the check-in luggage and my question is : am I going to have any problem at the security check point (I remember they request any electrical devices be able to turn on at the check point). I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

2. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    by "check-in luggage", you mean carry on? even then, if it's still sealed, it shouldn't matter, they should let you carry it through. if it's unsealed, you may have some problems. if i were you, i'd just check it though, no worries at all there.
  3. panda@large thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2006
    Thanks, I do plan to check the mini with the check-in luggage(the one that goes to the cargo), I'm just afraid when they scan and/or check the luggage and see that little box they may freak out because they have no idea what it is.
  4. cairo macrumors regular

May 6, 2005
    Should be fine, I've carried electronics like that carry on before. They've only ever made me power on my camera and laptop.
  5. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Bad idea.

Lots of people have lost iPods and laptops taking them through checked cargo.

Anyway, have you ever watched how they treat checked cargo? They're brutal! Don't want a broken mini now do you?

You could get there a little early if you're worried they'll make you power it on...though I've never had to power on anything.
  6. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I dont see why you should have any problems at all.
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You're going to check it in? :eek:

Bring it on board man.....carry it on, unless you don't mind a few scratches dents in your Mac Mini.
  8. cairo macrumors regular

May 6, 2005
    You really shouldnt have any problem carrying it onboard.. in the event that you do, be prepared to leave yourself extra time so that you can ship it or something if they don't allow you to take it.
  9. strydr macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2005
    They are not asking you to turn on devices anymore (at least on domestic flights). I just flew in from Boston (to SoCal), and they searched my check on luggage (the stuff going in the plane belly)- I carry on anything of value, so it won't "walk away" with baggage handlers. , o-ya, and I used to work for UPS. Never ship anything of value ground. small boxes become footballs in the wee hours of the morning. (I worked in the re-wrap department- people had all kinds of excuses on how a box got so damaged )