Air tunes and wireless printing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by puckhead193, Oct 4, 2005.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Is their a way to set up the Airport express to do air tunes and wireless printing without having it as a WAP. I can't have wireless internet at my school. If i set this up can anyone with itunes log on and listen to their music through my speakers/print.

Also random question, can an lacie d2 triple extreme fit under an icurve?

2. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

no one has a clue or i'm guessing you need a wi-fi network :eek:

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but yes I think you do have to have a wireless network set up. You should be able to disable SSID broadcast and enable wireless security and no one at your school would know there's a wireless network there except for you.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Didn't see your second question, yes the LaCie drive will fit under and iCurve. And if you have security enabled on your AirPort Express, no, other people cannot log on and print/play music over it.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Exactly. This will render the network "invisible" to other computers, unless they specifically know the name of your network and manually type it in. You can also reduce the power output of the unit to 50% or even 25% if you only need to wirelessly print/stream in one room.

In my setup, I have the WAP enabled, but with no internet hooked up to the unit. So, I have wired internet coming into my Powerbook, but i print/stream music wirelessly to the Airport Express (to save ports).

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, your school can't stop you from using wireless in your room. I could understand them not wanting you to share a wireless connection with a bunch of other people, but I just use mine as a wireless access point in my room. If they told me i couldn't do that, I would be like "right..." You just spoof your MAC address and they'll never know.