Air Tunes Express: Severe Problems!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Balin64, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hey Fellas:

I bought an Air Port Express as soon as they came out. I love it! at least I used to...

After the firmware update, it will play about 3 seconds of music followed by about 10 seconds of silence. It is useless. I had a party last week at my place and I had to connect my iPod to the stereo because iTunes and the brick kept cutting out. It is HORRIBLE! Anyone experiencing the same behavior? I have mine set up to join my current wireless network: an 802.11g Gateway wireless modem made by Actiontec and provided by qwest. It worked great before... now it is a liability: When you're grooving out to music, the LAST thing you want is for it to cut off unexpectedly. Apple better fix this... I already have a wireless network, so the only reason why I bought the AirPort Express was for music. And, right now, it is severly tanking!

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Don't know what could cause this, are you certain you have the last upgrade installed, which is 6.x.1? There has been another one that does not show up in the system update. If that does not fix your problem revert the firmware to it's last version.
    I understand that you are pissed but there's absolutely no need to be if it is not broken.(Physically I mean.)

3. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thanks!

I use Software Update for the latest developments. I installed the latest firmware upgrade offered for the Air Port Express. How can I get the update not noted in Software Update? And Thanks!

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Here you go
    Hope this resolves the issue. If not revert to the firmware you used before that.
    Hard resetting it might also help, you might want to try that too before reverting it back.

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I also downloaded the new firmware, hoping my printer would work with it :/ I only heard about it because of a yahoo news story on it, why would this not be in the system software update? seemed important enough for it.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Good question. I was asking myself the same thing.

7. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I was having the same issue after one of the firmware updates. After some fiddling a few weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly.

Initially I did not realize that the firmware does not auto install itself (this created a bit of confusion for me, so I thought I'd point it out) Once I finally got the new firmware actually installed I started running into more severe dropout problems. Particularly, when opening my PowerBook it would almost never find my network. I thought it may be a defense mechanism because maybe someone was trying to hack my network, so I stopped broadcasting the SSID... This turned into a bigger problem because I wasn't able to connect to my network after typing in the appropriate SSID and password, it just wasn't broadcasting a signal I suppose. I thought it might be because I had it hidden behind my stereo rack, so I moved it to no avail.

At this point I just pressed the reset button on the Express, and re-ran the firmware update. I made up a new SSID. Then I downloaded MacStumbler and checked out what channels my neighbors are using (I just moved into NYC, never had this problem back in the country). Found that most are on channel 6 or 12 so I set mine to channel 10, I also started using WPA instead of WEP. Additionally I started using "Interference Robustness", but have since found this is not necessary, and only lessens the range.

Since going through these steps the signal hasn't dropped out at all, and I've been thoroughly satisfied. It's really a cool little gizmo, I plan on getting a couple more for my family. I guess that sometimes just getting back to basics solves the world's problems, especially like mine when it's a case of PEBKAC! Hopefully this is of some help to you. Let us know if the situation gets any better. And Good Luck!

8. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thank You all for the suggestions!

I will give them all a try. I have a weird schedule, so I am either sleeping or at work when Apple Tech Support is open...

Thanks again!

9. Chubypig macrumors 6502

I've been having similar problems w/ my air port express and my tibook. If i try to play a song it keeps dropping out. If i try to play the same song on my iMac w/ the airport express it works fine. Could it be that the tibook only has 802.11b wireless? anyone know?

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

AirTunes works fine with my TiBook, but I do have my network set to 802.11b ONLY to increase the range...