Air Video directly stream to Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wiles01, Feb 15, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have had Air Video for quite a while and it works flawlessly to stream and live convert videos to my iPad mini and my iPhone 4.

I'm still trying to find a clear answer if Air Video will live convert straight to Apple TV hooked up to my HDTV or not?

I find answers that are a year or two old that say "no" or that you have to play it on your iPhone or iPad and then direct it towards the Apple TV device.

Have they finally fixed it so that the Apple TV device can directly access and play live converted videos from Air Video or not without having to dink with your iPhone or iPad first?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Doesn't appear to, looking at some threads on Air Video's forums. You go through the iOS device first, then AirPlay to ATV.

3. macrumors 68040

I guess my question is how would it? You can't install the Air Video app onto the AppleTV right?

4. macrumors 601

You airplay from the air video app on the iPhone or ipad

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running Air Video Server as the file server on my PC and it streams the live converted video to my iPad or iPhone, locally or over the internet using the Air Video app on my IOS device.

I would think since Apple TV has to have some of its own OS on-board, including its own HD space that they would set it so that it could be the direct interface to stream the content from the PC without having to use your iPhone or iPad as the middleman?

You should be able to tell your Apple TV to connect to the Air Video server and be able to look at the available content right on your HDTV screen and select it right from there to play.

It would only make sense I figured. They are already on Apple TV version 3 right? I'm surprised they haven't done this yet?

6. macrumors 68040

Yes but how do you tell your Appletv to contact the air video server without expanding its capabilities? And the only way to expand its capabilities would be to install an app (ie something like the Netflix app), but you can't install any apps on the Appletv right? You can "beam" video to the Appletv by using air parrot or airplay mirroring. This process would not require an iOS device.

7. macrumors 68000

wesk702

It's actually quite convenient because I just use my iphone like a remote with a display and just stream.