Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
In the last two weeks, my Air will not hold after I Shut Down or Suspend, battery seems to work fine if I'm using it (drains normally). When I turn it on it's at 0%. Plugging it in will charge to 100% in ~30 minutes. Did SMC reset did not resolve problem. I don't believe there are any hardware issues.. Will a format fix this? All software is up-to-date.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
So it's discharging when shut down and abnormally fast while sleeping? Can you confirm that it's actually sleeping? Are there any devices connected to it that might be preventing it from going to sleep, like a rogue bluetooth device?

Failing that, you could always take it in to the Genius Bar or your closest AASP for an appointment. It shouldn't cost anything for them to at least look at it (at the GB, anyway). They should be able to diagnose the problem and give you options (if it's not covered under warranty).

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Has to be a software issue I'm going to try and format it later and see if that fixes the problem, if not, off to Apple I go. Any other commands to try?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Sounds like a dying battery to me, shouldn't change in 30 minutes, more like 2-4 hours!

Agreed. That is exactly what I thought. I had a Dell that the battery would charge in 20 minutes, and that's because it would only last about 20 minutes on battery.

OP, can you use it for a normal length of time and the battery works? Or are you just putting it to sleep not really using it and assuming that it would have otherwise held a full charge?

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Yes battery works normal when it is on and unplugged just seems to not recognize it's charged after it's been asleep or shut down for several hours. It's charing fast because it's not really dead..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.