Airborne Express SUCKS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Sep 23, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have had absolutely nothing but awful rotten headaches dealing with AirBorne Express, and I was wondering if my cases were unique, and if they aren't why Apple still uses such a ****ty shipping company.

1. Over the summer I ordered an iPod and Airborne took 3 weeks to ship it. Their online tracking site offered data completely inconsistent with information I got by calling the hotline. The package leapfrogged to nearly every major city in the US before finally arriving at my door within 24 hours of my leaving for college.

2. I have ordered a new Aluminum PowerBook, and Apple turned it over to Airborne over 30 hours ago (charging me for it) and airborne has yet to register and information on it.

3. I also ordered an iPod for my brother (with the buy a bundle, get a bundle deal) and it shipped the 18th and said that it should arrive today the 23rd. It registered one scan in China, and has apparentlystill not even made it through customs yet!!!! And the best part is that the phone rep told me they'd have more information within 48 hours, and it took every bit of patience I had not to scream, "48 hours!?!?! It's supposed to ****ing be here now!!?! What the **** kind of company are you morons running!?!!"

I need the PowerBook by this weekend, and Apple did their part by shipping it 3 days earlier than the deadline, but I feel that Airborne Express will **** me over and I will not get it in time so that I can get a presentation together for my class next Monday. I am totally pissed off and the reps I have talked to on the phone have only been rude to me as though I am the one who is being irational, when it is their ****ing company that is screwing up. I wouldn't mind if they were to tell me tat the iPod wouldn't arrive until the 27th, but goddamn it, don't tell me that it'll be here the 23rd and then have it nowhere close!!! How do companies that do business this POORLY stay in business???

Oh, wait...

they can't that's why they got bought out by DHL!

The only thing I can't understand is why DHL would buy out such a terrible company?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

my friends powerbooks shipped saturday morning and it was here monday morning. hope that helps. but i do agree with you on their site, it blows and says nothing. we called them, and they said to expect them by wednesday,lol.

iJon

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Is it possible that the world is just out to get me?

*sobs into fists clenched with rage*

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Update

I just called Airborne and the guy said that they haven't recieved the iPod yet (??), and that even though the tracking site shows nothing, the PBook should be here tomorrow buy 5pm (which I am wondering if that's a fat load of bogus ****.)

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My PowerBook was supposed to be here today according to both Airborne and Apple, but it isn't and my tracking number stopped working last night so whenever I try finding out the status, it just tells me it is invalid. I am just hoping that tomorrow I will get it since it is second day shipping and tomorrow will be the third day...

6. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Airborne is good for short distance domestic shipping. At my old job, we used them every day to send documents overnight to the home office.

FedEx is the best for International priority shipping.

UPS is good for long distance domestic shipping.

As for customs, there is a little thing called Homeland Security. It is screwing everything up, both stateside and overseas. Documentation that wasn't needed before is now mandatory. And they can hold any shipment, for any reason, for any length of time. There isn't jack you can do about it, so don't bother complaining (I currently work for a import business - at least 10% of our overseas shipments get messed up).

My own story with Apple is this; FedEx Ground picked up my iBook and airport card on 9/19 in CA. No other updates yet (as of late 9/23)...!

Shipping sucks, and is only going to become less and less reliable. There are only a few major carriers, and they all communicate with each other. We are at their mercy.

7. gooddog macrumors regular

Re: Airborne Express SUCKS!!!!!

8. Tommy! macrumors regular

When my 12" pb went haywire, i sent it to Apple and a month later, a guy calls me and says he has a box for me. Airborne delivered it to a guy across town who had the same last name that i did, just because i wasnt there when they tried to deliver it. I was even more pissed when my hd was blank...

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

At least I am not the only one with the unrecognized tracking number with Airborne Express...I just wish it were sent through UPS. It may have taken an extra day, but they are so much better. Their tracking is amazingly accurate and up-to-date and they have never once been unreliable with anything I've used them for. My .Mac came standard UPS ground and my PowerBook came Airborne Express Second day. Guess which one came last Friday and which one I am *still* waiting for...

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I've had similar problems, but the Delay is actually a US Customs problem. Working for a Major Unix systems company, we routenely get stuff from overseas, and some times it takes more that 3 weeks to clear Customs. The jumping around can be caused by mislabeling the package. I'm hoping to get my iPod Wednesday.

TEG

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've been very pleased with Airborne Express. I ordered my PowerMac from the east coast (I live on the west coast). With normal shipping, it was here 3 days later. I was very impressed. I've also had a few other things come via them, and they're performed above and beyond my expectations. Sorry to hear you had problems with them. Sometimes things just don't go smoothly.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i learned this a while ago... at work i do quite a lot of overnighting, and i've found that UPS is the only reliable, full-service carrier, and that Airborne Express has places that consistently get delivery dates wrong... while UPS is very accomodating, and was amazingly slick on the occasions i had to hire a personal courier.

point is, Airborne Express lost themselves a lot of business because they were not reliable.

pnw

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Airborne Express is my preferred shipper over Fedex. I'll only use UPS or the USPS if nothing else is available.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The problem is that I was going to get my PowerBook through UPS standard ground, but Apple decided to upgrade it to second day Airborne free of charge without asking me. I figured that is great when I checked the status page since it'd mean getting it extra early, but from the moment I loaded their page I realized what a headache it would be. The tracking number only worked twice and pulled up odd info and now won't work at all, they are already a day late, and when I called them, they said they have no record of my tracking number ever being on records even though yesterday morning I was able to pull up the page saying it was shipped and some info on the package weight, size, and which warehouse it was coming from. Right now I wish it had just been UPS...usually even though they say 3-5, at least more times than not, it's 3-4 tops with them and I've even gotten things within 2 days with them. If UPS can get something here by 3-5 day ground in 2 days from across the country, then why does it take Airborne 4+ days to second day something?

15. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Another Update

As expected, the Airborne Rep this morning says that they don't know where it is other than that it it en route and that if I call back tomorrow morning they might know where have an update for me. All I can say is WTF!!! I saw it coming though, so it wasn't as big a let down as it could have been.

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well I called Airborne today for some answers and apparently the reason my tracking number is not valid is because my PowerBook is currently in China going through customs inspections and I will have to call back tomorrow to see whether or not it is shipped to the US to obtain the valid tracking number to see when I will actually get a ballpark estimate when I could expect my PowerBook.

17. Macco macrumors regular

Re: Airborne Express SUCKS!!!!!

I had a similar problem with my iPod. I ordered the express shipping on the website in the beginning of September, and it didn't arrive until a week and a half later. It seems that the problem is that they don't offer express shipping from China, and it was a typo. The day after it arrived, the new 20 and 40 gigabyte iPods came out, so I sent mine back, and I'm waiting for the 20 gig. Quite possibly, the extra five gigabytes aren't worth the added wait and shipping costs, but we'll have to see.

18. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Yeah same issue. Apple sent me an email on Sunday saying the item had shipped. Like any true nerd, I checked the Airborne site immediately and was surprised to see they had already picked it up (from somewhere in California). I checked back on Monday because it should only take one day ground from 90045 to 90007, and the tracking didn't work. I called Airborne and they said that they won't have any information on the package for 24-48 hours but to expect it on Tuesday (this is sorta standard as FedEx and UPS sometimes say this ... but of course the shipping time should only be 24 hours ... so that means they won't know it was shipped until it is received ... silly). The I checked on Tuesday and the package said it was coming from Taipei, no other information. I called Airborne and they said they didn't have any info on it, and that the ETA for the package is Wednesday. So I finally checked the website this morning and it shows nothing again.

If my package doesn't come by Thursday, I think I'm going to cancel and just buy one in the store, plus the extra 512 ram.

And I don't think customs are to blame here. How is it possible that some packages say picked up, some don't, and there is no information from Airborne? FYI, Airborne internation is much cheaper than UPS, so when the Apple person told you they upgraded your package, they really did the opposite. They thought they could send it in a less expensive way because they were shipping it a few days early. I think its just poor tracking by Airborne.

19. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've had at least one serously annoying problem with Airborne Express, and that was on a domestic order.

They got the item to my local airport fast enough, but when the local delivery guy showed up at ~8:30am, I apparently didn't wake up to get the door. Thinking I was just sleeping soundly, I got up bright and early the next morning and sat there quietly at my computer waiting for the re-delivery attempt. Finally, around 9:30, I gave up and went to work... where I found another note on my door.

Now, My house is a whopping 600 square feet and I could've heard somebody whispering if they were standing near the door from where I had been sitting. The guy sure as hell didn't ring the doorbell, and he must've worked hard not to make any noise while he was writing that note for me not to hear anything.

I ended up driving out and picking up the package myself, but that experience caused me to doubt the whole operation--if they can't train their delivery people to use a doorbell or (heaven forbid) knock, what can they do right?

On the other hand, I like the local UPS guys even though the company tends to beat stuff up pretty badly in shipment, and on a PowerBook I just got via FedEx from the Apple Store, it got to me in good shape and only two business days, despite being the free ground shipping option.

20. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Still more fun!!!

Now the Airborne people say that it has shipped, and that it should be in Franklin IL (local Apple base) by tomorrow. Needless to say I'm not getting my hopes up.

On a side note, that iPod that I ordered has "received a shipping sticker, but has not yet begun the shipping prcoess." Precisely what in the HELL does that mean!! Is some Apple employee playing with it and refusing to ship it, or is the airborne guy stashing it away in his closet somewhere?

I'm so pissed off it's un-****ing-believable!!!!! WHY ME?!?!?!?!!!

21. bernie macrumors newbie

AAAAARRGGG

Yeah I Hate Air-suck-express. I paid for the two day shipping. Apple said it shipped on monday. And yeah the tracking website is completely inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it gives me information in different formats.

I also noticed that apple gave me two different numbers, one is a tracking number, the other is a waybill number. The waybill number shows that it passed customs, but that it was 15 shippments of 5,000 pounds. The tracking number shows that it's "picked up at shippers door" what ever the hell that means. Ahhhhh!!!! I've waited so long for this thing!!!!!!! I've already paid for it!!!!!

The dickhead on the phone at Airborne said that he couldn't tell me at all when I would get it, but that It could be tomorrow, or as late as saturday. But because 'apple changed there procedure' he can't really tell anymore. What gives!!!! I could have bought the damn thing from COMPUSA already...

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wow. I'm glad I'm within driving distance of an Apple Store. I know where I'll be getting all my hardware from now on.

Anyway, don't y'all live anywhere near an authorised reseller?

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have an Apple Store 3 minutes from my house at home, but I am at college at the moment and the only place that has an Apple dealer is CompUSA, who doesn't do education pricing nor did they have any in stock anyway, so I was stuck having to do it online. I actually ordered standard UPS shipping but Apple just happened to "ugrade" it for free. I just wish they hadn't because Airborne really has a terrible tracking system and all they can tell me after a week is "it's not in the country yet so we can't track it".

24. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Update:

Those of you trying to get information on your shipment should call Airborne and choose the international shipping option. THe can tell you whether it has cleared customs, when you can expect it, etc.

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's for that suggestion, I didn't even think of that. I'll try that out and see if I can finally find out where my order is.