Airbus A380 revealed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by groovebuster, Jan 19, 2005.

1. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Since nobody mentioned it so far...

The biggest passenger airplane of the world was revealed yesterday:

Link to Airbus HomePage

I'm just curious how other people think about it.

I am looking forward to see (or fly (as a passenger)) one in real one day... :)

groovebuster

2. mpw Guest

Personally I don’t like the idea. It takes forever to load a 747 so sitting on the taxi-way while 800 other sweating tourist board around me doesn’t appeal.

Also I’d like to see a reduction in air travel on environmental grounds OK so it’ll take a little longer to holiday but crossing the globe by boat and rail seems more relaxing to me.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

how in the world is using boat and rail going to save the environment. most of these devices pollute just like planes?? :confused:

i think the new jet is exciting, amazing what they can engineer.

4. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Its an absolutely fantastic plane they have already taken so many orders for it, can't wait to see it fly.

Them RR Trent 900 engines are phenomenal they are huge.

I just hope most of the airlines don't use them as cattle markets.

The only thing with the sheer size and capacity of this monster, if and when one does go down, there's an awful lot of people on board.

Is there any news of Air France or British Airways ordering any???

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

depends...if you use all the way electric trains then it beats all the alternatives (if electricity is produced with hydro-power etc. like more than 65% is here)

6. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

... and talking about the environment, the A380 is very fuel efficient.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Looks pretty amazing to me! Cool!

Just a tad on the LARGE side :p

[​IMG]

8. iGav macrumors G3

I don't think BA are because Branson has been bragging.

The 747 creams it in the looks department though... the A380 lacks definition and just looks bloated, who would've thought people would ever say that a 747 looks lithe... :eek: :p

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, the 747 looks better, but who cares really, it's all about function ;)

10. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

... especially when building a plane that size the only thing you care about is: efficiency! There is no room for making it more pretty.

groovebuster

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yet another symbol of the rise of Europe as a global superpower?

12. iGav macrumors G3

In a way yes, but you can have both, ;) they're not mutally exclusive.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

More of a symbol of see what we can do when we all work together vs centuries of warfare. Maybe one day the mid east will grasp this concept.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I agree, I think in particular if the cockpit had been on the upper deck it would have looked a lot better. It currently looks a bit Frankensteiney, with an oversized forehead! ;)

I was quite surprised at the difference between the listed and max seating figures - I'm really hopeful they won't be cramming the seats in, though of course that's up to the airlines. I flew with <an airline I shouldn't mention> and they had the seating so tight, I couldn't sit without spreading one leg to either side of the seat in front, and I'm not a tall guy! And then the armrests were so tight they were digging into my legs. I hobbled off that plain with pretty bad back cramps afterwards.

15. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

But there are two reasons why they didn't do that.

a) The aerodynamics are better and the noise level in the cockpit is lower.

b) Pilots rated for A330/A340 also can fly this puppy since the cockpit has the same height over ground and taxiing and flying this monster is not much different to the other airbuses. So it saves the airlines money.

So it is all about function.

groovebuster

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I really, really hope they keep some of these features.

But long distance airliners always seem to launch like this, with eyecatching bars and lounges and jacuzzis. But then when pressed into service they're just fitted out with a dozen extra rows of seating instead.. :(

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm not surprised that the aerodynamics would be better, but would that affect the noise level?

And that's something you can't really appreciate from most of the shots here, just how high off the ground some of these cockpits are (and how limited the crew's vision of the ground closeby is).

18. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

Graphically speaking

Quick graphic I did for today's Raleigh News & Observer business section. Gives a little more information on fuel economy, passengers and layout. enjoy

Attached Files:

19. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I saw a report about it a few months ago on TV in which the discussed exactly that: why they decided to put the cockpit between the two passenger levels. And the explained why the noise level is higher when the cockpit is located higher. Has to do with the angle and speed of the air...

20. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well they are about 80 orders away from the break even point right now.

It will depend on the market. For Asia there might be 880 seat versions. Just as there are 500+ seat versions of the B747.

Yes, they have both signed on.

Other than that it will interesting to see if it becomes a success. Boeing made its last 747 in 2002. Airlines are more interested in smaller planes that fit the hub and spoke system, with multiple stops. 747's and the A380 are best suited for long haul or cattle car flights.

22. mpw Guest

IMO there is inevitable going to be new technologies to provide propulsion for cars, trains and boats most I'm guessing will rely on electricity at the point of use. These technologies will be 'cleaner' than present day fuels such as petrol, diesel and coal and most will not pollute at the point of use. Although they may at point of production this will be easier to control and manage.

I can see enormous ship crossing the Atlantic with alternative methods of power and even believe that one day some colossal road bridges/tunnels will span the worlds oceans but the idea of electric motors for flight just doesn’t seem plausible.

Personally I’m hoping to see real inroads to tidal and solar power production.

23. fuzzwud macrumors regular

you don't have to be super rich to travel like that. just rack up the frequent flyer miles and hope to get upgraded :p