aircard/airport relationship possibility?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mypetmac, May 31, 2004.

1. mypetmac macrumors newbie

mypetmac

First, don't be mad, but my dad gave me an ancient PC--yes, PC-- laptop to play around with...I promise to put an apple sticker on it right away, but hey, it was free and better to use it than putting it in a landfill.
    I wanted to get a T-mobile (or similar) aircard for it, so I could just use it to write/access internet on the road.
    My question is this: is there anyway that this cellular service and aircard could be made to provide internet service to my G4 (which is running 9.something)? It has airport capabilities, but I'm not a computing guru and don't know too much about all this. Right now I use cheap dial-up for my mac, and wanted to avoid paying for both T-mobile and my dial up.
    Thanks all!
    AJ :confused:

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

What you could do is buy a wireless access point and use that to send the signal to both your G4 and the PC laptop with the aircard.

In your last sentence, you were trying to say that some type of internet service is included with the aricard? If you can clarify a little bit, I might be able to help you more.

3. mypetmac thread starter macrumors newbie

mypetmac

clairify...

In that last sentence, I meant that I plan to order monthly aircard internet access from T-mobile.
    Could you give me an example of this access point? (maybe a link)
    thanks!
    ~aj

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

No problem. Ill assume that your T-mobile internet acess will be high-speed broadband. Here is a reliable acess point from Linksys: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=415&scid=0 (I also have this one). Once you install the aircard and the airport card in the two computers, you can use them both with your access point.

5. legion macrumors 6502a

Since he's saying T-mobile aircard, I don't think he's talking about hotspot access. He's talking about using cellular connectivity (GPRS or EDGE.) There's no such thing as a wireless basestation or router for cellular (at least at the consumer level) This is NOT broadband.

What you could do is connect with the PC and if you can install WinXP on it, use internet sharing and share the connection out using a ethernet cable to the Mac (I'm assuming the laptop also has an ethernet jack)

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Actually... the AirCard is the broadband, all via cellular service. What you would need to do is use the PC as a router to distribute the AirCard connection to the Mac, either via Ethernet or 802.11b. The PC will need one of those connections available to provide the net service to the Mac.

7. mypetmac thread starter macrumors newbie

mypetmac

Wow...

So, the Linksys WOULD work for a Sprint/T-mobile service? (I assume my G4 would need a new airport station).
    I also thought those routers were just for broad band...
    thanks!
    --amanda