Airline Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TorchMusic, Feb 4, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

TorchMusic

Has anyone got the MBA Airline adapter? Mine's slated to ship on March 5th, but I'd rather pick it up in person before that. Are the Apple Stores carrying them?

2. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Call your nearest Store & ask.

3. macrumors regular

so i've yet to fly on ANY planes that take this... and yes, i also fly 1st class sometimes... what planes actually have this empower plug?

4. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

I have to admit that whenever I've had power available on the plane, it was always a standard (US) 110 VAC outlet. I, too, have yet to see an Empower jack -- and this includes international service 777's in the forward cabin.

5. macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I just took a round trip from Florida to Hawaii, two legs coach and two legs business/1st class. Of the 4 legs, only 1 had power in the seat, and that was the business class from Hawaii.

You can try this site to see if your flight will have power. It's not great, but if you can figure out what model aircraft you'll be on....

http://seatguru.com

6. macrumors regular

HAWAII!!! and i'm going to FL in march... soo cool that seatguru site! THANKS! anyway, u don't recall what brand was the plane? boeing.. airbus?

7. macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

It was a Boeing 767. I flew Continental so you can find the plane I was on looking at the continental 767 hawaii link on seatguru

8. macrumors 6502

American Airlines has power on almost all of their planes. I have seen many folks using the apple adapter on flights.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

TorchMusic

Which airlines?

Anyone know about United or Lufthansa?

10. macrumors member

Yes, I have seen it on United planes in First class. Don't know which plane, but it was within the last month.

11. macrumors regular

sweet...

umm...useful? lol

12. macrumors member

Yes they do exist, Cathay Pacific's Pacific Ocean 747s do equip these. 1 per passenger in first, and business, and 2 ports per 3 people or so in economy. I used my Magsafe adapter on a flight from Hong Kong to the US. Was great, except the Apple adapter doesn't charge the machine. The port on the plane from the US to Hong Kong was broken, though. First time I wished I had a 2nd battery. :)

In the US, though... it may be of limited use unless you fly American. There's an adapter in the kit for the other plug. I fly Delta and United for work; meh. No love there.

13. macrumors 6502

United first will sometimes have them, but more often than not they are covered and not available or simply don't work, especially on 757s.

14. macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes standard north american outlets for Business class for both airlines. Typically they are semi-hidden.

15. jjd
    macrumors regular

Empower was in aircraft seats BEFORE the AC power connections (10 years ago). Most new a/c are equipped with AC outlets because people complained about having to use an adapter. (I am excluding US legacy carriers from this - I am talking about solvent, semi-decent carriers). I carry around my Magsafe empower adapter when I travel but almost never use it these days. Lufthansa, BA, Qantas, Cathay, Singapore, Eos... all AC power.