AirLink 101 (???) Wireless Access Point / Client

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dpaanlka, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Hey everyone...

I have just purchased this super cheap AirLink 101 Wireless Access Point from Fry's. It says on the box it can be used as a client to get non wireless desktops (such as my iMac G3) onto a wireless network, and it also says it is Mac compatible.

I cannot figure out for the love of god how to get this thing working. This has to be the most complicated, un-user friendly thing I have ever used. It can't auto-detect SSIDs, or even channels, and it wants me to type in the MAC address of my router (????!!!) and manually define its IP address and stuff.

How freaking bizzare is this...

I entered everything in exactly as it is and it still isnt working. I dont know what other settings to look for.

Anybody have any experiences with these?

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Wow, I'm sorry to hear it is that difficult. I bought one of those for my girlfriend's IBM Thinkpad. It was very easy to set up, but it disconnects her quite often. Does it come with any Mac Software? Sorry, I don't have a card slot to try it out on my Macbook. What driver version is there? On the PC I think the driver is 4.0.4 or something. It originally came with a version 3 driver, but we saw no performance difference on her thinkpad by upgrading the driver.

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Its not a PC Card, it's a box with two antennas that connects directly to my iMac G3 via ethernet, and is supposed to act as a bridge between the wired iMac and the wireless network.