Airmac (japanese Airport) in junk bin

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kansaigaijin, Apr 15, 2002.

1. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

just have to gloat, while browsing the used mac dept. of my local Sofmap store in Kyoto, found a Airport Base Station in the junk bin. Price Y2980. Do the math? (okay it is 22$US) I couldn't read the warning on the tag, but wth? So after searching the KB articles and another trip to the store for a crossover cable, guess what? It works! Had to poke it in the eye with a sharp stick to make it go green. So with the fibre on the pole outside providing 100mbps service for Y6000, what else is in the junk bin? (a B&W no ram or drives Y29,800)

god I love this country.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

So what would shipping som of this "junk" cost?

I need dated parts.

I've been wanting to build a behemoth with old G4 parts and it sounds like I should start with Nipponese dumpsters.:D

What would it cost me to get stuff across the Pacific?

3. kansaigaijin thread starter macrumors 6502

shipping

I dunno, ask fedex, they ship from here.
    Ya, I would like do do a project like that, but am a little strapped for cash now, hence the bargain basement shopping. ever check out xlr8yourmac.com ? they have reports of G3 boards in PC cases. very cool Get out your hack saw! Also the house is too small for a tower, laptops are big here literally, you should see the Sonys etc, could heat the house with them pentiums.
    G

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Do you speak C++ or Java?

Perhaps we could colaborate. I have a full size 19" rack just crying out for old 100Mhz-bus G4 and iMac rev A-D guts.:D

A game development company is what I was going for. I have some good ideas but I'm not a code head......I'm a Hardware Geek and IT trouble-shoot guru.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: shipping

Very interesting. What is the prefered pc of choice in your neck of the woods?

It would be nice if they had 'junk bins' around here. But there never seems to be anything, its all returned to the manufacturer if its got a problem and covered under warranty, or you buy it on ebay and hope it works.

6. kansaigaijin thread starter macrumors 6502

pc's in Japan

Sotec is the big brand, and Sony, Fujitsu, and HP. anybody who wants a tower though and is just a little bit above newbie status builds their own. So the big shops have huge DIY sections with cases, MBs, chips, drives the whole shooting match.
    got to go to work, cheers

7. kansaigaijin thread starter macrumors 6502

mac recycler

try themacmarket.com in Vancouver, they have lots of used stuff and wiil send you email when new stuff comes in, plus C$ and shipping is not a problem etc.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: pc's in Japan

Sotec? Wow, never heard of them in the states.

Imagine if Apple had a parts system where you could buy the case and all the periferals and have your own DIY Mac. That would be so sweet!:D

We might not ever see that. The market wouldn't be that large and anyone interested in doing it can scavange old macs and make something up anyway, but it would be cool to go in and see Apple in the DIY isle.