Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smac001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
im looking into ways of streaming HD movies to my tv... many options exist but some are more costly then others....

right now im thinking one of the best options would be to run XBMC on my mid2009 macbook pro, since it does not support airplay then i would need to run airparrot to display to a 3rd gen apple tv. has anyone tried this already? are HD movies going to stutter if i try this ?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
im looking into ways of streaming HD movies to my tv... many options exist but some are more costly then others....

right now im thinking one of the best options would be to run XBMC on my mid2009 macbook pro, since it does not support airplay then i would need to run airparrot to display to a 3rd gen apple tv. has anyone tried this already? are HD movies going to stutter if i try this ?
You will not be happy with the AirParrot experience using a 2009 MBP. Been there, done that. If you simply feel you must, download the trial and throw some challenging stuff (BR) at it. Also, it is extremely CPU intensive. You will be able to use your MBP to heat water for tea. Oh...and did I mention the breeze from your MBP's fans cranking on high for a couple hours. :eek:

smac001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
thanks for the valuable input... i suppose ill just hold off and stay the wired route for awhile untill the android mini pcs become more powerful... or untill they come out with a 3rd gen apple tv jailbreak. i understand saying the word android and pc in this forum is likely close to heresy... but there are some cool little units out there that run for less than $100 with hd output that you can dedicate to your tv.
The home sharing would work for mp4 downloads yes, however im looking into streaming hd content using navi-x on the xbmc platform... works pretty well on the mac lots of titles available.

anyways thanks for the input,

Cheers !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.