Airplay can be enabled with one line of code!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Evgenyy, Nov 24, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

2. macrumors regular

powerman

I don't understand all of the information in this artical, I am not a programmer or hard core user, but from what I am seeing is it should not take much to get internet video, and other video to airplay on to our big screens. If this is the case I am very excited about the future of :apple:tv.

3. macrumors 68020

Wow. Just one line of code. That's great news. Apple is probably going to make this private API public. I still think they limited the video part of it to just 3 apps in this initial rollout just to make it easier to iron out any bugs that might pop up and plan to open it up further when it's up to their standards. They've been working out bugs in the audio part for years with Airtunes and it shows which is probably why all apps already support audio Airplay.

4. macrumors 6502a

oh man, that'd be awesome! All I want to do is stream files using VLC player. It would take forever to convert all my avi and mkv files to an apple specific format!!

5. newagemac, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

macrumors 68020

The top part of the article was a bit confusing because that was before she figured out that it only required one line of code. She was going through a bunch of hacky methods to get it to work and it did work somewhat. But then near the bottom of the article there's an update explaining how she found out that instead of going the hacky method, all she had to do was just add one line of code to any application. She never needed to do any of that stuff she did at the top of the article. Apple seems to have made it nice and easy for developers. :)

6. thread starter macrumors regular

7. macrumors member

Right on! Can't wait for this to come to those of us who have no clue how to program and such. :D

8. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
  9. macrumors regular

powerman

How hard is it to do this for the not so smart mac user? Also will this work off of a MBP?

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it's possible to have this easily enabled by users. The code has to be inserted into each app before it is compiled. Not sure if you can decompile individual apps and then recompile them with extra code. This also won't work on Mac, only on iOS devices that support Airplay.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

12. macrumors member

well I've never really been interested in JB'ing my phone before, but that makes it very tempting...can't believe it doesnt do this out of the box, so to speak...

13. macrumors 65816

fabian9

14. macrumors 6502a

It's available. Not home to test on my atv. Love to hear if it works w hulu. U can grab it at Cydia.zone-mr.net

15. macrumors member

Is there any way to push web videos from a computer to the apple tv? anything in development?

16. macrumors 6502

yes if you read the post above you can see it is being done and is unofficially under development

17. macrumors 68020

Airplay is working just like it does on iOS for videos for me on the computer side...Play them in iTunes and then select the Airplay device. I noticed that on Mac the icon changed from the speaker to the TV screen like it did on iOS, so I made sure that video works, and it definitely does.

See attached photo:

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized he asked about web videos, not stuff in iTunes. My bad.

Attached Files: