Airplay Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by middi, Mar 18, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Just wondering if this has been discussed. I've searched and found nothing.

Do you reckon airplay will support dual monitors. I.e my macbook as desktop 1 and appletv as desktop 2?

that would be great just to sit on my desk and not have to plug in a wire to my macbook

2. macrumors newbie

I am very curious about this too. I usually plug my Macbook Air into the TV and use dual screen/dual monitor mode to play movies in the TV's native resolution. The new AirPlay feature in the upcoming Lion update would not be as cool if I had black side bars on the TV because it only did mirroring.

Anyone with the developer preview able to answer this question?

3. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i think they refer to it as Airplay mirroring, so im only guessing but wouldnt the TV with appleTV just mirror whats on your macbook display?

4. macrumors newbie

You are right. I just did some searching and found that there is no "extended" or dual desktop. You can, however, tell your Mac to match the resolution to the TV.

"Several options are displayed in when you hit the AirPlay menu bar icon as follows:

AirPlay mirroring off
    AirPlay mirroring set to one of the Apple TV boxes in range
    Match desktop size to AirPlay Device
    Match desktop size to This Mac"

http://www.chriswrites.com/2012/03/how-to-screen-share-to-your-tv-using-airplay-in-mountain-lion/

5. macrumors 6502a

That's a massive shame, it makes the feature somewhat pointless if you like to use extended desktop via a cable.

6. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i don't think its "pointless" what were your options to display your mac on your tv before? you had to plug it in now you can do it wirelessly

7. macrumors 6502a

Because I don't have a need to mirror what's on my mac, I want to use it as an extra screen as I only have a small screen (13").

You can do it with videos on iOS, so why not from the mac?

8. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

can you explain what you can do on iOS

9. macrumors regular

You can't dual screen with iOS what are you smoking? It mirrors what shows on the iOS device.

10. macrumors 6502a

Don't we already have a 3rd party app that does just that? It's like AirDisplay or something like that.

11. macrumors 6502a

That's not what i'm saying, you can send video on its own which is different to mirroring :rolleyes:

12. macrumors regular

And while that video is playing I'm pretty sure you can't do anything else

13. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Any update if this feature is possible with the latest version of ML?

Dual monitors would be FANTASTIC!

----------

On iOS you can. Not sure about ML

14. macrumors newbie

Very disappointing

Yeah, I can't believe it only allows mirroring, not dual display. Had I realized this I probably would not have purchased Mountain Lion since this was the only reason I upgraded.

I find it hard to believe that something I can do with my (old) iPhone can't be done on a Mac.

Until they get this fixed I'll continue to use Air Video instead ( http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html ).

(And I can use Air Video with my old iMac with no problems. Whereas this new AirPlay feature works on my MacBook Pro only.)

Mirroring is still a cool new feature -- would be great for a PowerPoint/Keynote presentation or something like that. But if that's the only option, it's is of very limited use. Pretty disappointing.

15. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    has anyone discovered any apps/workarounds to allow dual monitors using the apple tv and a Mac?