Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Greetings from my 55 inch wifi screen, lol. If you pick up the latest MBA, you should totally get Apple TV. The screen mirroring is great for those of us with a big screen. So far, I have used it for streaming NetFlix and it looks as though, if you dim the laptop screen - airplay is a neat way to get 1080p madness as good as the best seat in the house can get.

Anyways, it works really simply with the 2013.5 MBA, just choosing mirroring from display preferences.

huskernation

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I agree it is a cool feature but why would you not just use the netflix app that is already on the apple tv? Just curious.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Haha. Well, at least that did confirm I can stream anything to airplay...

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I agree it is a cool feature but why would you not just use the netflix app that is already on the apple tv? Just curious.

Someone living outside of the US might want to use something like Media Hint in Chrome while watching Netflix. To get the same results on the Apple TV you'd likely have / want to pay for unblock-us rather than gamble with the free options.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I just tried AirPlay mirroring with my new MBA 13", but it's not as smooth and good-looking as I expected, probably due to my Apple TV being 720p. It also messes up the aspect ratio.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Airplay is best for training. I spend a lot of time getting my wife up to speed on the new OS compared to windows. Sharing pictures is also fun. Lastly my best use for airplay is to scroll music lyrics at get togethers. I use an app called MiniLyrics its a nice talking point and occasionally a real singer will share their gift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.