Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadylane315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Does airplay only work with whats in your iPod app on the phone? I'm trying to stream videos from a website. The icon is present but only the audio transfers through?

Edit: Just checked the netflix app. It doesn't do video even though 9to5mac confirmed. What is going on?

Last edited:

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
Nothing works except native Apple apps. Biggest disappointment ever, I was looking forward to AirPlay. Even embedded YouTube videos within Safari are a no go.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
So far I tried:

1. iPhone Video: works.
2. YouTube App: works.
3. Vimeo via Safari: audio only.
4. iPhone Camera Roll: sort of works. doesn't allow you to control slide show speed from phone (you can flick through via your phone and the Apple TV doesn't follow).
5. Netflix: audio only.
6. Hulu+: no.

So basically the only video that really works via AirPlay is the video you get on your Apple TV already: iTunes content YouTube, and (kind of) slide shows.

What a bummer. I had AirPlay built up in my mind to be an alternative to an Apple TV app store, where I could stream all sorts of video to the TV via my iPhone. It falls FAR short of expectations.

fruitbat04

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
4. iPhone Camera Roll: sort of works. doesn't allow you to control slide show speed from phone (you can flick through via your phone and the Apple TV doesn't follow).

This does work for me.

Just go through photos app > camera roll album.

Video doesn't work from the camera roll though which is very annoying as it was the feature that most people wanted and expected.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I was looking forward to AirVideo working to. Hopefully a new app is built to get around this.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing. Maybe third party developers can get it to work in their apps somehow though? I am not going to give up on it quite yet.

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I read Netflix commented they won't be supporting AirPlay. That sucks the donkey. Don't get me wrong, I love AirPlay, I just wish NetFlix sent video as well as audio.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
i tried to steam photos and the orientation cannot be changed, all of them are on turned 90 degrees.

it is a bit dissapointing, any video or audio i have on my iphone, I have in my itunes library.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I read Netflix commented they won't be supporting AirPlay. That sucks the donkey. Don't get me wrong, I love AirPlay, I just wish NetFlix sent video as well as audio.

But that's somewhat of a non-issue, right? They already have a Netflix client on the ATV2... Agree it would be nice to have but I'd rather see some other apps support it first...

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I don't have the new AppleTV, so I can't check video, but audio from Plex plays on my Airport Express.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
This does work for me.

Just go through photos app > camera roll album.

Video doesn't work from the camera roll though which is very annoying as it was the feature that most people wanted and expected.

Did you try flicking through photos on your iPhone? When I do, the Apple TV is out-of-sync for me. The Apple TV simply shows photos at the default pace, changing every three seconds or so, regardless of how you flick through them on your iPhone.

That's why I said it "kind of" worked.

fieldy au

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
I thought that the whole point was that it would be able to stream video off any site? Major disappointment that it can only play stuff that you can get on the :apple: TV itself.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If you want to flick through them in your own pace, don't use the slideshow. Just tap-select a photo and Airplay it. Then just flick to go to the next one. If you then decide you want to play the slideshow just hit the play button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.