Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
So this works on iPad and iPhone, but there doesn't seem to be any functionality to do it from Safari to Apple TV. Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist?

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
So this works on iPad and iPhone, but there doesn't seem to be any functionality to do it from Safari to Apple TV. Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist?

Unfortunately it does not seem to exist.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
You need a 3rd party app called AirFoil.
It allows you AirPlay from any app.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

-t

I think he's referring to mirroring AirPlay not just audio.

That I'm aware of its not possible unless you use your iPhone and connect via logmein then mirror to But that still requires an iPhone 4s/iPad 2 to do that. From there use your computer as normal.

Edit: If you pay for logmein feature you get audio as well. And is a little choppy. I'll see if I can make a quick video, no promises.

Edit 2: just thinking about it you wouldn't need to pay for the audio feature if your computer is right there.

Last edited:

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Oops, you might be right. That indeed is not even supported by 3rd party apps as of right now.

-t

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZOY4_0cgoA

It's just a video of iPhone 4s to appletv using logmein but honestly if your gonna go that far might as use your iphone/iPad to play the YouTube video. Even the iPad 1 can stream video to the appletv. But if you want a 2nd display on the cheap then logmein.

eifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Kinda strange that there's no functionality for that...

zenek

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Maybe you'll find those options interesting:
1. ClickToFlash - Safari plugin - in general prevents Safari from loading flash content trying to load HTML5 instead wherever possible. But has the option (right click) to send the content via Airplay. Works quite well with YouTube, etc. Can be a bit tricky on other pages but highly configurable.

2. AirFlick - free application (still 0.x version = beta but well usable) - allows to send to AppleTV audio, video, image and PDF (pages as slides) files from your computer, as well as current screenshot and URL pointing to video. There're some limits with A/V formats, but there is support for wider range of formats then typical iTunes'.

3. HUDTube Video Player - not so cheap application (AppStore) - the name tells the rest. You can drag&drop YouTube, Vimeo and local clips to the app windows and it plays them on AppleTV.
+'s: history, playlists, control quality
-'s: still no support for subtitles :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.