Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalAppleWatch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
The volume adjustment feature is really the only that I REALLY miss. It's not nearly as fun double tapping the earbud (which I'm still learning the proper gesture to invoke it), waiting for the music to *pause* and have Siri connect, then command her to change volume to a random number... Basically you can't fiddle with the levels and find that perfect spot, which is pretty brutal.

So I was thinking about ways they could add new optional gestures (I'm sure they've already tested 100+). The AirPods are seamlessly paired as 2 separate devices so I'm really really surprised we don't have more action toggles in the settings. Right now it's only Double Tap to invoke Siri or Play/Pause music. Maybe I'm missing something about their design philosophy with these, but it's really surprising they force us to use Siri to change volume. Like mind blowing honestly.

So anyway, they're 2 separate devices, I'd love to see actions based on which side you tap. For volume, as stated in title, double tap to invoke volume change and continue tapping in 10% increments! Or what if the left bud handled ALL volume tasks with Double Tap = 20% increase and Triple Tap 20% decrease, right earbud does play pause. You get the idea. Would love to see your ideas. Please no quadruple taps on both earbuds making us look insane at the mall lmao. Will submit all the ideas to Apple and my friend who is an engineer there!

Much love!

Reactions: deany and TwoBytes

ScottButler

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Sunderland, UK
Not sure about the volume idea, I think it might be too many taps and sequences for Apple to be okay with. They'd probably just recommend an Apple Watch or to use your phone.

But I think independent controls like you said, Siri on the right and skip tracks etc on the left will probably happen.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I don't really need to change volume that often and when I do, I am fine with reaching in my pocket and using the buttons on the iPhone. What I'd like to be able to do is double tapping the right one to advance a track and double tapping the left one to go back one track.

Reactions: ohio.emt

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
The volume adjustment feature is really the only that I REALLY miss. It's not nearly as fun double tapping the earbud (which I'm still learning the proper gesture to invoke it), waiting for the music to *pause* and have Siri connect, then command her to change volume to a random number... Basically you can't fiddle with the levels and find that perfect spot, which is pretty brutal.

So I was thinking about ways they could add new optional gestures (I'm sure they've already tested 100+). The AirPods are seamlessly paired as 2 separate devices so I'm really really surprised we don't have more action toggles in the settings. Right now it's only Double Tap to invoke Siri or Play/Pause music. Maybe I'm missing something about their design philosophy with these, but it's really surprising they force us to use Siri to change volume. Like mind blowing honestly.

So anyway, they're 2 separate devices, I'd love to see actions based on which side you tap. For volume, as stated in title, double tap to invoke volume change and continue tapping in 10% increments! Or what if the left bud handled ALL volume tasks with Double Tap = 20% increase and Triple Tap 20% decrease, right earbud does play pause. You get the idea. Would love to see your ideas. Please no quadruple taps on both earbuds making us look insane at the mall lmao. Will submit all the ideas to Apple and my friend who is an engineer there!

Much love!
As ScottButler said, it is a bit too much tapping to seem like an actual Apple design decision. My main gripe with the separate Airpods controlling different aspects is that it seems to go against the fact you can use one at a time. If you do that then the volume controls, and the like, would all be pointless because you wouldn't have the second Airpod present to provide the complementary gestures. In my opinion, the only way Apple can provide a seamless experience when using one or both Airpods is by providing the full control scheme on each Airpod itself. However, that just provides too many taps, and gets into the quadruple plus taps to change volume or track skip.

Reactions: tekchic

OrionsByte

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Many people seem to be saying that it doesn't always register the double tap... can you imagine the frustration in trying to get it to recognize a triple- or quadruple-tap and translate that correctly? It'd be a nightmare. And probably give you a concussion.

sxistus

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2015
since they both have accelerometer and proximity sensors, woudn't be great if they recognized that your airpods are in your ear and your finger at the other side, and sliding up or down (rubbing against the tip) for turning up or down the volume?

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Just too easy to reach into my pocket and hit the appropriate volume button to the desired level. You don't have to unlock the phone, or even look at the screen, for this.

Reactions: eagleglen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.