Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which are you considering: Airpods or Beats X or PowerBeats 3?

• Total voters

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I'm looking forward to getting the Airpods. Whilst they don't have any physical controls, I like the the ability to charge them when I'm not near a power source via the case.

I had a pair of Jaybirds, and whilst they sounded good, I started to develop a battery problem where they would not hold a charge for more than a few hours. It means that my earphones would stop unexpectedly mid commute. They would report 60% battery life and then drop to 10% and then turn off in the space of a few minutes. It often left me stranded without any earphones for the day. I ended up carrying a wired set of earphones just in case.

I contacted Jaybirds, and their customer support refused to honour the warranty to have them fixed or replaced.

I ended up going back to Apple (where I purchased them), and they provided me with a full refund. The Jaybirds were good (when they worked), but the company does not stand by their product. I'd rather buy a product from Apple, as at least they stand by their product and honour their warranties.

I might look at the BeatsX as well as I do like the idea of having physical controls on the earphones as well. Still, a software update on the Airpods could give them extra functionality at a later date.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrXiro

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I'm look forward to getting the Airpods. Whilst they don't have any physical controls, I like the the ability to charge them when I'm not near a power source via the case.

I had a pair of Jaybirds, and whilst they sounded good, I started to develop a battery problem where they would not hold a charge for more than a few hours. It means that my earphones would stop unexpectedly mid commute. They would report 60% battery life and then drop to 10% and then turn off in the space of a few minutes. It often left me stranded without any earphones for the day. I ended up carrying a wired set of earphones just in case.

I contacted Jaybirds, and their customer support refused to honour the warranty to have them fixed or replaced.

I ended up going back to Apple (where I purchased them), and they provided me with a full refund. The Jaybirds were good (when they worked), but the company does not stand by their product.

I'd rather buy a product from Apple, as at least they stand by their product and honour their warranties.

I might look at the BeatsX as well as I do like the idea of having physical controls on the earphones as well. Still, a software update on the Airpods could give them extra functionality at a later date.

I would have to agree, I also own Jaybirds X2 and have had the same issue and I called Jaybird and they even said they would replace them but I did not hear back from them with any info on tracking or get any emails period. Luckily I got a Square trade warrentary and called them and they were able to approve to take back the Jaybirds and then give me a check for the amount I paid for the headphones.

I am going to get the BeatsX once I get the money from the Jaybirds and they come out.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I plan on getting the Airpods because the concept of them is very cool to me and I'd like to have truly wireless earbuds. I also like that you can stash them in the travel case (which also charges them). The only thing I'm worried about is external sound, since the regular EarPods don't block much out when riding the bus.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I plan on getting the Airpods because the concept of them is very cool to me and I'd like to have truly wireless earbuds. I also like that you can stash them in the travel case (which also charges them). The only thing I'm worried about is external sound, since the regular EarPods don't block much out when riding the bus.

Look into EarSkinz. I know they don't have any for AirPods yet but hopefully they'll make some or you can just cut a little hole where the ambient sensor goes on the skins. They block out quite a bit more sound and give deeper bass response.

Last edited:

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I'm looking forward to getting the Airpods. Whilst they don't have any physical controls, I like the the ability to charge them when I'm not near a power source via the case.

Airpods have a different UI than what we have been used to having.

An ideal situation for using them may be being alone in a quiet room giving out Siri commands and having phone conversations. This is true for most of my time when connected to iDevices. I find my current BT earpieces/headphones have merits in certain situations and find myself switching devices for different uses.

Even if the first Airpods version has less than ideal features, subsequent releases can build on the Airpods and W1 chip mystique.

Eventually, Airpods will displace my other BT and wired Headphones & earpieces.

Eventually, a simpler listening and communications experience.

Reactions: MrXiro

Jrgrip11

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
First off I have something like 15 pairs of bluetooth headphones of different sizes and varieties, from Sony XB950BTs to 3 pairs of knock off powerbeats I found on Amazon for $10-$25, etc. But I'm really curious about the new Apple W1 chipped headphones and I'm wondering what everyone is planning on getting.

Airpods - essentially wireless Earpods... which includes the "OK" sound quality and probably slightly loose fit in my ears but they are the cheapest and have no cables at all. This is my favorite of the 3. They have 5 hours charge per use and a 24 hour recharging case.

Beats X - Essentially wireless versions urBeats which I've never tested before. Anyone know if they are any good? 8 hours battery life seems a bit sparse IMO.

PowerBeats 3 - Essentially PowerBeats 2 with a W1. I tested these out for a week about a year or so ago. They were really good and loud but not sure if they were worth the asking price of $200 and I sort of feel the same about the 3s.

I would use these headphones at my desk at work AND at the gym since they work seamlessly with all my iOS devices. I'm not considering the Solo3 because I've come to realize I hate using full sized headphones at the gym. My head just gets way too hot.

What are you guys considering?
[doublepost=1476249725][/doublepost]The AirPods look cool but they don't seem like they wouldn't be a good fit for anyone that's active. If your outside that thing could get lost quick. Why would they make them like that??

Reactions: Tibits

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
[doublepost=1476249725][/doublepost]The AirPods look cool but they don't seem like they wouldn't be a good fit for anyone that's active. If your outside that thing could get lost quick. Why would they make them like that??
To be fair every reviewer has said that since they removed the cable the buds don't fall out at all. Will have to be tried to know for sure. But there doesn't seem to be an issue with them falling out during activities. I'm sure EarSkinz will have a model for them and they will stay securely for sure when those are released.

Jrgrip11

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
The best pair that I have used were the Bose Wired ones with the wing on it. Then the Yuribuds or something like that they both stay in your ear while running and working out.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The best pair that I have used were the Bose Wired ones with the wing on it. Then the Yuribuds or something like that they both stay in your ear while running and working out.
I use a few pair of PowerBeats 2 knock offs at the gym. One is branded by STATUS AUDIO and another pair is OTIUM. They are clearly the same internals with a slightly altered casing. Even the pairing voice sounds the same and the buttons are backwards. Hitting the button towards the back of your head is Vol Up and FWD while the button that points towards your face is Vol Down and REW. But they work well. Last at very least 6 hours and were cheap. I found them for under $30 each... much more reasonable since these things are completely disposable. No saving them once the battery dies. I hope in the future AirPods and most BT headphones hit a more disposable price point. I'd buy a new pair of AirPods once a year or two if they were under $50.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I hope in the future AirPods and most BT headphones hit a more disposable price point. I'd buy a new pair of AirPods once a year or two if they were under $50.

The W1 chip in the Apple earphone/headphone line is a significant advantage for Apple users.

There would be no incentive to lower the list prices. A secondary market will grow from what others project to be a $12B segment of business, higher than Apple Music.

Imagine a far future that would allow implanting an Airpod type device with the ability to self charge or charged as one sleeps. This communications capability to talk to others and our tech devices would be an augmented reality to our brains.

Of course, the cost would be higher for that.

Put me in for one of those, tentatively.

Short term, I'll settle for Airpods this November.

Reactions: rbrian

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
Was originally going to get the AirPods, but 8hr battery, Remote with Siri, volume and play/pause controls...

The BeatsX are a no-brainer!

Reactions: lympero

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I guess if you really want to listen to music, you should get in-ear headphones. They sound better and block ambient noise. If only AirPods were in-ear..

Reactions: Sajal

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I guess if you really want to listen to music, you should get in-ear headphones. They sound better and block ambient noise. If only AirPods were in-ear..
What is the best in ear option right now?

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
I was going to go for the B&O H5s but glad I waited, so currently deciding between the Airpods or BeatsX. Anyone going to wait till the reviews are out before buying?

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I want to get AirPods but when I go out I begin to hate my EarPods as I can barely hear my music because of the noise. BeatsX is the way to go.

Reactions: austriak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.