Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I guess you could do that.

I have to admit, the title is misleading these are scalper prices due to high demand at present, and I don't view them as resale value , these units are new

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The point is that a guy like you comes in and posts just the positives as you did in post #76- leaving that key bit of info out- and someone reads what you posted and assumes "so dropping them in a puddle or the toilet they will survive" and "I might wear them in my bath tub for example. If they do fall out (which would be unusual) it isn't a big deal."

Is it not a big deal? Again, what happens 5 or 10+ days later? Are those submerged in water for 5 minutes still functional? Lots of electronics can recover and work fine soon after a dip under water. Then, they stop working a few days later because of that same dip. We don't really help our fellow consumers out by gushing about a positive that even Apple themselves doesn't endorse or encourage.

Personally, I think positive surprises like this are great (too), but I know better than to assume such great results over the longer run... especially when Apple is not touting such an impressive benefit if it had actual legs to it.

And that was the point.

Again nobody said dunk them in water intentionally. Also he didn't test the microphones after the test. Although this test will rightfully put people at ease in case of accidental drops. I thought it was pretty much understood by anybody that water damage may not show up until much later when things corrode.

All I was suggesting is I won't be as paranoid about it now. If somebody runs out and dunks these things to impress their friends and they break there may be a lesson in life for them at that point.

My comment about wearing them in the bath is simply saying that now I know water isn't instant death. Before nobody knew if they would die on contact with water. With the information I have now I am taking an informed risk using them near water. The chance of them falling out is next to none and if they do they seem to be able to survive.

The drop tests might be useful to somebody like a roofer who works in high spots. Now he can wear them knowing they will most likely not break if dropped from a height. It doesn't mean they can't break but in that scenario the roofer will probably be more at ease with wearing them while doing his job.

The worst that would happen if the drop is accidental is you lose one pod and get it replaced. It is hardly something to worry about at that point it is a $69 mistake. The main concern right now is if there would be availability of a replacement right now.

Nobody said they are waterproof we are just saying they seem to be good in case of accidental drops. In that case it has no impact on other consumers because accidents will happen regardless of what I say.

Reactions: citysnaps

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The point is that a guy like you comes in and posts just the positives as you did in post #76- leaving that key bit of info out- and someone reads what you posted and assumes "so dropping them in a puddle or the toilet they will survive" and "I might wear them in my bath tub for example. If they do fall out (which would be unusual) it isn't a big deal."
Is it not a big deal? Again, what happens 5 or 10+ days later? Are those submerged in water for 5 minutes still functional? Lots of electronics can recover and work fine soon after a dip under water. Then, they stop working a few days later because of that same dip. We don't really help our fellow consumers out by gushing about a positive that even Apple themselves doesn't endorse or encourage.
Personally, I think positive surprises like this are great (too), but I know better than to assume such great results over the longer run... especially when Apple is not touting such an impressive benefit if it had actual legs to it.
And that was the point.
+1
But the EverythingApplePro guys' timespan is only 5 minutes. Just look at this tad: he was lucky to remember he dumped his Airpods in the machine at all.
This is what will save this generation: They will buy these things x times a year, not remembering what they costed. This will save Apple, the gadgets shop founded by Tim. Ohhh, such great stuff, best device of 2017. Let me guess: Next will be wireless dongles. I'm so glad for Steve that he doesn't have to sit this through...

Last edited:

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
+1
But the EverythingApplePro guys' timespan is only 5 minutes. Just look at this tad: he was lucky to remember he dumped his Airpods in the machine at all.
This is what will save this generation: They will buy these things x times a year, not remembering what they costed. This will save Apple, the gadgets shop founded by Tim. Ohhh, such great stuff, best device of 2017. Let me guess: Next will be wireless dongles. I'm so glad for Steve that he doesn't have to sit this through...

I went on his Youtube page and asked him to update the story if they are working later or if he encounters any problems if it makes any of you feel better. I will go out on a limb and suggest the lack of follow up so far means they are still working.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
AirPods & Apple Watch are the unheralded dream team of the Apple product line.

Direct routing of phone calls, wrist top iTunes controls, and ultralight usability without the iPhone using Apple Watch's onboard music storage.

Reactions: 44267547

Jan Utrecht

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2016
Utrecht, NL
I think you may be confused about the price. Have you been offered some on eBay?

I am quoting the original article:

Naturally, with so many people looking to gift the AirPods to family and friends for Christmas, resale prices are rising on eBay. Most auctions are sitting around the $250 mark with hours left to go, and guaranteed shipping by Christmas, but some Buy it Now prices are set at upwards of $350 and $500. Prices will only continue to inflate as Christmas grows closer and shipping costs rise to overnight packages.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Yesterday, in Cupertino:
Tim: GREAT, GROUNDbreaking news for all you guys (and Angela) - Airpods sell like hotcakes!!
And one more thing: they're packed with features !
Phil: Tell me so. I have been over these things for over a year now.
Tim: But the design is great. Congrats Joni ! I questioned your output for the last year, but you are clearly back in town !
Greg: How that, they look the same as the hundreds of millions of EarBuds that we sold over the years...
Joni: But these ones don't have wires. That greatly added to the complexity of the whole concept. So we had to redesign them from the ground up. We had to reinvent Blueto...
Tim: In fact those wired buds were pre-releases. We are now doing beta's also with hardware !!
Sell, sell, sell. Test samples by the millions - saving us all the extensive pilot phases and irritating leaks.
Phil: In fact that's the only way to stay relevant without great inventions. Innovation 2.0: revitalize old stuff and sell it as new !
Joni: We're so terribly good at it. Look at the iPhone 7 design. Sold it as groundbreaking, I personally told the world Nothing stayed the Same...
Greg: But that's what people expect you to say with every launch.
Joni: Sure I did. That's part of our Innovation 2.0 framework. Recycle not just products, also the language. You have to stay relevant with phrases that people remember. So they have to be the same.
Tim: We are really entering recycle times now. And I am clever at recognising trends. In fact I feel like a great visionary.
A Steve 2.0, without flattering him of course. Recycle his Power to be the Best !!
Greg: Plus, repeating yourself offers the chance to learn Siri ! Or did I say so earlier ?
Phil: Airpods bring nothing new but keep selling as hotcakes as people will lose them faster. People don't realize what they already spend on them. In fact, marketing research reveals mean-time-to-forget has lowered to 10 minutes. That's why we set the price to exactly $159: difficult to remember !!
Tim: Such a smart move. What do these Airbuds cost, Phil ? Retention buying - it is sooo 2010 ehh, 2020. Or both - as we can now plug the beginning of the 2020 pipeline into the end of 2010.
Angela: So what should I do with these plastic buds ? Put those into the luxury boutiques that I want our AppleStores to become? Whatever they are, they don't fit the concept. We sell only jewellery there, no giveaways in dental floss boxes. And the AppleWatch of course. The AppleWatch is a price winning device that...
Joni: Pricewinning ? Well, if there is a laureate or ceremony, I will be attending. All designs have my trademark !
Angela: Ooooaahhpfff - speaking about retention...how did I get here....
All you guys are the same.
Tim: And will stay so forever...

Last edited:

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
You might. With Christmas a few days away, you might find a desperate buyer. And ship dates are out to February now.

Jingle-All-The-Way-PS.jpg

Reactions: Royal Gala

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I went on his Youtube page and asked him to update the story if they are working later or if he encounters any problems if it makes any of you feel better. I will go out on a limb and suggest the lack of follow up so far means they are still working.
My advise is then to stay in touch for a couple of years.

Last edited:

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
Gee, since Apple can no longer innovate one can't help but wonder why their so popular...............

Apple's AirPods are now making their way into the hands of the first round of customers who ordered the wireless headphones last Tuesday, and more tidbits of information about the device have been shared online as users play around with Apple's newest product.

Apple Watch Features

One Apple Watch wearer noticed that when a call comes in through the wearable, there's a custom AirPods button when the headphones are connected and playing music. The AirPods button replaces the usual green answer button, simply designating that the call will be relayed through the AirPods and not through the Apple Watch speaker.

apple-watch-airpods.jpg

Users of Apple's wearable can also swipe up from their watch face, tap battery percentage in control center, and check on their AirPods' battery levels from the Watch. Otherwise, the AirPods' battery levels can be checked in the iPhone's battery widget.

Durability Test

As is the case with most new Apple devices, durability tests are also underway, and YouTube channel EverythingApplePro this week shared one of the first major real-world drop and water tests with the AirPods. In the video, the headphones are put through basic drop tests from waist and ear height, and then to upwards of ten feet. Scuffs and marks hit the charging case hardest, but the AirPods themselves made it through largely unscathed thanks to their lightweight build. Most importantly, both the AirPods and the charging case continued to work normally after each drop.

Water tests were also conducted on the AirPods, including a washing and drying cycle that confirmed the headphones and the case will survive and function as expected even after accidentally including them in a load of laundry. The channel's ultimate stress test was five minute submersion under one foot of water. Even with those extreme conditions, the AirPods synced up with the iPhone immediately after submersion, and both headphones were "working perfectly."

Resale Prices

Naturally, with so many people looking to gift the AirPods to family and friends for Christmas, resale prices are rising on eBay. Most auctions are sitting around the $250 mark with hours left to go, and guaranteed shipping by Christmas, but some Buy it Now prices are set at upwards of $350 and $500. Prices will only continue to inflate as Christmas grows closer and shipping costs rise to overnight packages.

Availability and Tracking

Certain retailers like Best Buy in the United States and Carphone Warehouse in the United Kingdom have restocked AirPods throughout the week, but Apple's online website now has an estimated delivery in mid-February for most countries. Anyone who wants to keep as up to date as possible on AirPods availability can use iStockNow's tracking map to see where the headphones are currently available.

Users are likely to glimpse a map filled with red pins indicating no stock available, but we've seen occasional green pins show up throughout the morning. You'll have to be fast though, as they sell out very quickly.

Article Link: AirPods Tidbits: Hidden Apple Watch Features, Durability Test, and High Resale Prices

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I honestly think the EarPods sound good because they are balanced (fairly flat) and offer decent clarity. They're not gonna compete with a two hundred dollar set of earbuds but they definitely sound better than 35 dollars.

I genuinely don't think they sound anywhere near a pair of £35 Sennheiser headphones, like NO WHERE near. I peg them more in the £5 range of headphones. I've heard £5 Creative in-ears that sound much much better though.
[doublepost=1482403423][/doublepost]
They sound pretty good to me... Then again I am no audiophile and I certainly don't expect much sound wise from a $159 set of BT headphones..

Overall I am happy with them and think they sound as good as my Jaybird X2's did..

I was on about the EarPods that come free with the iPhone, not the AirPods which I haven't heard.
[doublepost=1482403506][/doublepost]
I'm now wondering if I can get £300 for these (unopened) and buy some more after Christmas!

I got £320 for a pair last week sent to someone in Saudi who's over the moon with them.

Reactions: GadgetBen

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Hey mate, okay I did some more testing to answer your questions .

1. The EarPods = AirPods when it comes to sound quality. Geez if there is some differnce it's very small, heck I'd convience myself they sound better having jsut paid £150, though realistically put some EarPods in and that is the sound quality. Tried them against the Bose ie2 and Bose we better . The shures I use for music are 846s, so against those the AirPod are crap :p use a pair of EarPods and that is very much the SQ you will get, judge from there, I consider them to be £30 SQ headphones

2. Watched some scenes from gladiator using EarPods and AirPods , there is slight latency using AirPods , you might not notice until you watch the same scene with EarPods , so yes to latency, but not bad.

3. Fit wise I'm lucky , not once have they fallen out and are actually very secure , though I'm just lucky they fit my ears well, will vary person to person .

4. My view is that they are £30 SQ headphones , very good BT reception , extremely light, sound great for phone calls, extremely convinent , look kinda goofy, but I really like them. I like them and will keep them cause they are great for the gym, and a great set of hands free headphones for commuting and phone calls, I can walk around the house making a call. Will I use them for watching movies or music, nope.

The bad, outside of apple idevices pairing is hmmmm. My Sony zx2 can't adjust volume on these, by iPod nano sounds crap paired, I'm sure there are other devices they don't play nice with, but with an iPhone they are great.

The case is very clever, and will keep them charged all day.

If definitely recommend trying them, though get them from apple, the fit is crucial, and if hey fit very well as they do my ears I think they are a winner as a convinient headphone, but with a bad fit, don't bother and return them.

Happy to answer any questions.

Update: forgot to mention, my iPad Pro runs last build of iOS 9, it cannot find the AirPods on BT.
£30 pound headphone quality? You're kidding right ?

I've never heard a 30 pound Bluetooth headphone with bass response and mids as good as the airpods or even EarPods.

It's the fit that embellishes the sound. With a loose seal yes you don't be able to hear the quality as good. Doesn't mean it's not there though.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
£30 pound headphone quality? You're kidding right ?

I've never heard a 30 pound Bluetooth headphone with bass response and mids as good as the airpods or even EarPods.

It's the fit that embellishes the sound. With a loose seal yes you don't be able to hear the quality as good. Doesn't mean it's not there though.

It's the same fit as the EarPods , same drivers, same sound . I acknowledged you are paying extra for the BT, does not mean the SQ is better than the EarPods.

Do you think the AirPods are better than EarPods in terms of SQ.....feel fee to link any reputable review from a major publication that agrees with that statement . Every review I've read is all but the same, and that is my experience.

They joy if the AirPods is not new SQ, it's the convenience and implementation of the BT that makes it better than other BT solutions it's price range and above

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
1. IMO, side by side, the Airpods sound better than the EarPods.

2. Seems like NYC stores have available stock up for grabs around 2-3pm. You can just use the Apple Store app and keep hitting Check Abailability, it'll update every time it opens. I watched two stores sell out while I was looking for my gift card to place a pick-up order, managed to snag one from the third!

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
My advise is then to stay in touch for a couple of years.

Well that would make sense as other people have said we will never know how long these things last after being plunged in water. It could take us years to find out. Although if a month goes by I would say it is safe to say they pretty much survived.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I started wearing them from the day one. You know what it looks weird to me now? When I see people with wires coming out of their necks, pockets, t-shirts, all over their face,chin and dangling on their chest!

Yes, had mine since yesterday. Don't want to go back to wires.

Can anyone with the AirPods tell me if you can adjust the volume using Siri during a phone call? I checked out many reviews on youtube but still have not found an answer.

I really dislike that they do not have a way to physically adjust the volume like the EarPods and some other BT headsets have (meaning without touching the phone or AW).

I don't think so. Even if you could it would be clunky and slow. Just use your phone or watch. Since having mine for 24 hours I've found activating Siri to be very hit or miss. I wouldn't rely on it much at all unless I can figure out how to activate consistently.

Agreed. They're really ugly. But their functionality is so awesome.

I was worried at first, but they look fine. Some people don't put them in properly to sit flush with your face, which helps with stability. Leaving them sticking out will make you look like a dork and more likely to drop them.

If only these would stay in my ear... I just can't use earbuds.

I wore earbuds for a month before getting my AirPods yesterday. They would constantly get snagged on something. The AirPods haven't fallen out once. Unless your ear is weirdly shaped, you'll be fine. These are so light they don't have a reason to fall out.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Just use your phone or watch. Since having mine for 24 hours I've found activating Siri to be very hit or miss. I wouldn't rely on it much at all unless I can figure out how to activate consistently.

It looks like you cannot use your watch.

The reason I was asking about using Siri, was to be able to adjust the volume without having to take my phone out of my bag. But, it looks like the only way to adjust the volume while making a phone is the phone itself, either the physical buttons or on screen. It looks like Siri won't work, and AW won't work.

I personally would not like to use Siri to adjust the volume, I would prefer physical buttons/presses on the AirPods themselves like the EarPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.