airport 4.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChazLM, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ChazLM macrumors newbie

ChazLM

I have a 17" Powerbook that i just bought 5 months ago. Do i need to download this update? :)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go to the Apple Menu and click on Software Update and you'll find all the updates that Apple recommends for your Powerbook - and yes, Airport 4.2 will probably be there

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's probably a good idea - it adds compatibility with WPA2. Basically WPA, while secure, was a transitional product. WPA2 is likely where things are heading. Also if you have a mixed client environment with an Apple base station, I think it's a "must" upgrade for the following reason.

I noticed that the Airport base station components of this update have significantly improved the quality of my wife's Window's laptops wireless connections. I'd assumed that the flakiness was due to some issue with that Averatec laptop's wireless hardware or with Windows wireless support in general (since a) neither of our Mac laptops had any problems with signal strength, and b) I've seen similar problems on completely non-Apple networks with other vendors' wireless products) - but now the reported signal strength on that laptop is consistently "good" to "very good".

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

It was also there for my mac mini that doesnt have airport..

If you use airport, then install it. You might as well, ay?