Airport & a Belkin router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by clearly, Feb 13, 2006.

1. clearly macrumors newbie

I have a Windows XP machine connected via ethernet cable to a Belkin G wireless ADSL modem router.
    I've just bought an Airport Extreme card for my iMac G5 (original rev) which is running OSX 10.3.9.
    Here's the problem: the Airport card cannot see my wireless network, even when the iMac is sitting right next to the router.
    I think I have the router configured correctly, so is it possible that the card could be a dud? Do Apple occasionally produce faulty cards, or am I being a muppet and missing something obvious here?
    Any help or suggestions would be seriously welcome as this is the kind of problem which drives you crazy.
    Cheers

Clearly:confused:

I should also add that the Airport Extreme card shows up with no problems in System Profiler.

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Could be a dud.

Do you have MAC filtering set on your router? If so, it could well be that the router is restricting access to MAC addresses that have not been entered into its admin. To solve this problem just add you Imac's MAC address and it should work (if the card works).

That's the only other solution I can think of right now. For the most part Apple's networking hardware causes little to no installation hassle. I've never had any problems connecting to wireless networks with my powerbook!

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Use your first installation disk to perform a Hardware test (boot with the CD/DVD in, holing option (or alt)).
    This should tell you at least something about the card.

I can connect to my Belkin without a problem.

If you're using WEP encryption, you should use WPA. ;)
    And if you want to stick to WEP you shouldn't forget to put a $ before the WEP key when trying to connect on your Mac.

What i'd do:
    Disable wireless (best: reset router, that way you're sure) and set it all up again, without security.
    If that works, add security...

Good luck

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

i second all of the above.
    and make sure airport TCP/IP is set to DHCP and the router has DCHP enabled (i can't imagine why it wouldn't tho) -- my Netgear will only allow DHCP connections over wireless (if you need/want a specific IP for the mac set that up with address reservation on the router).

and check the airport card is seated properly - it sounds stupid, but that was the problem i had with putting airport into an old iMac - it was in far enough for the system to recognise it, but loose enough to not work properly.

5. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Disabling DHCP is one of the first things to do to secure your wireless network!

For Belking problem, check if it is set to broadcast SSID (that's network name/id). For some reason, my iBook does not want to connect to networks that do not broadcast SSID!

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

unless (like mine) it HAS to use DHCP for wireless (according to the documentation)
    and disabling broadcast SSID would be the second thing you do to secure your network...

7. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Didn't realise that there could be such routers :p like your Netgear model.

I was actually looking to buy another router and considering Netgear (dirt cheap at 50 CAD). I better read documentation in details.

As for disabling SSID broadcast, I agree completely, unfortunately my iBook does not want to join such networks :confused:

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It's the RangeMax. It does allow you to restrict DHCP, reserve addresses and apply MAC filtering, so the compulsory DHCP (only for wireless) is not really a problem. Works well with an Airport iMac and a PocketPC PDA at the other end of the house, and an XP laptop (with a Netgear card) way to hell up in the back garden. Hope to try it with Extreme soon.

9. clearly thread starter macrumors newbie

These are good suggestions, but nothing has solved my problem yet. I'm beginning to think that I've made some very basic error. Perhaps someone could walk me through the set-up process for configuring the Airport Extreme card. That way at least I'll know I have not made a major cock-up.
    Thanks

Clearly

10. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The first step, presuming you have configuration access to your router, is to turn off all security (temporarily of course) so that you can eliminate this as a source of non-connection.
    Make sure the router is:
    broadcasting the SSID (and note down what it is)
    Has DHCP enabled
    Is open (ie, not using WPA, WEA security)

and most routers have a Status tab to check that as far as it knows, the wireless side is operating and it has a connection to the internet.

It's also handy to have noted down the IP addresses for the Router (usually 192.168.0.1) and your ISP's DNS Server.

Then, on your mac, in Sys Prefs > Network > Airport, instead of Automatic, try connect to a Specific Network, choosing the SSID from the router. Have TCP/IP > IPv4 set to Use DHCP and enter the DNS Server's IP address.

What happens then?

11. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The more info you can give us, what IP you're using, what it says in the Net Prefs > Show:Status > Airport and so on, the easier it is to help.

It can't get any worse than this thread in any case (i hope)

I would tell you to reset your router to factory defaults but last time i did that the guy disappeared and hasn't been heard from since... :eek:

12. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Wow, that was a good read :rolleyes:.

clearly,
    Did you reset the router? ;)
    How did you do it?

13. clearly thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing happens. Literally nothing. Except for large clumps of my hair which lie on the floor as I manually make myself prematurely bald. :(

14. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Ok I've gone over the thread. A lot of stuff has been tested and (presumably) tried by you. You suggested it might be something really basic. Have you actually activated Airport on your computer?
    To check to to Internet Connect in your applications folder and make sure Airport is switched on. I'm guessing you managed to figure that one out by yourself, however you never know! :rolleyes:

Otherwise, try to find someone you know or a cafe with Wifi access and see if your mac will connect to the wireless there. If it doesn't work there either, I think its safe to presume that your airport card is history.

15. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

You're taking me there again... (why is The Clash "Straight to Hell" springing to mind?)
    I really need more than "nothing happens" to be able to help prevent balding (for both parties).

Did you:
    1. Make sure the router is: broadcasting the SSID (and note down what it is) Has DHCP enabled, Is open (ie, not using WPA, WEA security)?

2. check that as far as the router knows, its wireless side is operating and it has a connection to the internet?

3. in Sys Prefs > Network > Airport, instead of Automatic, try connect to a Specific Network, choosing (or typing in) the SSID from the router?

4. Have TCP/IP > Configure IPv4 set to Use DHCP and enter the DNS Server's IP address?

And
    5. What does it say under Net Prefs > Show:Status > Airport ?

(I can't see your sceen, so you have to tell me what's on it)

16. clearly thread starter macrumors newbie

Ladies & Gentlemen
    We have a solution, and it's not one that's going to shower me in glory!
    I decided (for a third time) to rip open the back of the iMac and see that the card was seated correctly. Of course it was. How else would the card be showing up in System Profiler? And the aerial was connected properly to the card? Of course it was. I had delicately placed it there, and replaced it there, and replaced it there again. You really shouldn't apply too much force to these delicate components, should you?
    Of course you bloody should. One extra shove and a satisfying "click" meant that I knew I'd solved the problem before I even hooked the power back up.
    So, to everyone who has offered me advice on the basis that I'm just a simple idiot floundering in the technical wilderness: thank you! But I'm an even bigger idiot than you thought!! :D

17. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Ha! brilliant :D
    Any solution is a good solution. Well done. I can sleep in peace..