Airport/Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BigBurd, Jan 24, 2004.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

Jun 7, 2002
    The Beautiful Berkshires
    Please help. My friend has an older Powerbook and a new iBook. His Powerbook has an Airport card and base station. His iBook is Airport Extreme equipped. I know that an Airport Extreme base station can handle both cards, but it is expensive. What is a good base station (wireless router) alternative?

This wireless router should be able to be used with a PC, also. (He'd have to know what card to use with the PC, too.)

Thanks & God Bless.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    any wireless-g router will work with both airport and airport extreme... though if you have even one 'b' card on the network, everything else, even 'g' cards, will work at b speed, afaik. so you might want to just use the existing airport base..?
  3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    since he has a pc that means setting up any station will be next to painless, so just go looking for your best deal and you will be set.

4. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2003
    I have tried out four (thanks to Circuit City's new return policy) wireless G routers. I rank them in the following order.

1. Linksys
    2. D-Link
    3. NetGear
    4. Belkin

I have a two PC Desktops :( and a G4 iBook (airport extreme), setup for both was very painless. The PC was plug and play and the iBook recongized the new network right away with each router.

Linksys---The range is awesome, about 60 feet and through two walls I have full signal strength. This is the one that I ended up keeping. The main reason why I chose this one over the D-Link and the Netgear was simply it worked better with my current 2.4 GHz cordless phone (Panasonic). I didn't have any problems with signal while using the phone and the phone was clear of static.

D-Link---Very nice router, the range was almost as strong as the Linksys, but the router significantly slowed down when using my cordless phone. I lost almost all of the strength of the signal and the phone had a lot of static.

Netgear---The range was very comparable to the Linksys if not slighty better, but almost everytime I used the phone the router would reboot causing me to lose the signal on both my wired and wireless connections. I tried two different Netgears, just to make the sure the first one wasn't the problem. Needless to say I had the same problem with the second. The times that is didn't reboot, the signal went way down and the phone had a lot of static.

Belkin---I don't recommend this to anyone wanting to use a wireless connection more than 20-25 feet away from the router. When I was close to the router it was perfect, no interference with the cordless phone either.

edit: BTW......All 802.11g routers should be backwards compatible with 802.11b. All of the routers mentioned above had options similar to g only, b only, or b and g.
  5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    well, i think we are wondering if these two laptops will be used in drastically different locations.

because if they are in the same house, then only one base station/router is needed.

if it is being used in different places, then i highly reccomend netgear. linksys is a top brand but is expensive, you can get netgear (which is what i have, and LOVE) for really cheap (check eBay or Amazon).

hope that helps!
  6. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2003
    Linksys and Netgear 802.11g router/4 port switch are the same price $99.99. I don't think Linksys brand is any more expensive than Netgear or D-Link.

Belkin was the cheapest I bought, $99.99 -$30.00 (Mail in Rebate).:confused: